What are your first memories of great food?

City chicken growing up was a cube of pork, cube of veal, alternated on a wooden skew (6 - 8 inch skew) rolled in flour, dipped in egg wash then dipped in seasoned flour or bread crumbs and browned in a cast iron skillet and baked till done. Gravy made from the pan drippings and served with mashed potatoes/gravy.

I am told that back then veal and pork were cheaper than chicken -hence “city“ chicken. I don’t really know if that is factual. I do remember my mom dropping the veal completely from the recipe and just using cubes of pork. Still one of my favorite comfort foods. 😃😃

City chicken growing up was a cube of pork, cube of veal, alternated on a wooden skew (6 - 8 inch skew) rolled in flour, dipped in egg wash then dipped in seasoned flour or bread crumbs and browned in a cast iron skillet and baked till done. Gravy made from the pan drippings and served with mashed potatoes/gravy.

I am told that back then veal and pork were cheaper than chicken -hence “city“ chicken. I don’t really know if that is factual. I do remember my mom dropping the veal completely from the recipe and just using cubes of pork. Still one of my favorite comfort foods. 😃😃
I was really hoping you were going to say you were catching pigeons off the front stoop! :)

Perfect for Cookingbites Dish of the Month (March): Kebabs!

I would say it is a sure bet there was some pigeon / dove eating going on in my Grandparent’s generation...🙃🙃 hunted in in a field, though, not the front stoop.

I love pigeon and can get hold of it quite easily. Its wild wood pigeon. I can also get squab (domesticated pigeon). Pigeon has a wonderful intense flavour. Not sure if I've ever posted a pigeon recipe here - I must rectify that.

I love pigeon and can get hold of it quite easily. Its wild wood pigeon. I can also get squab (domesticated pigeon). Pigeon has a wonderful intense flavour. Not sure if I've ever posted a pigeon recipe here - I must rectify that.
That would be nice if you would I have never really cooked a pigeon!
Sarana x

I had to think hard on this one. I didn't realize that it was by my own hand. Thinking back it was when my friends kept telling me I should open a seafood restaurant. I thought nothing of it as I made the dishes. My first real consideration of quality restaurant food was when we went to Antonello's. We were just looking for a place that served Carpaccio and found a keeper!

We have native pigeon (kereru) they are protected. I know some people on the west coast who live in the bush up,a long driveway. They have them flying around there all the time. They eat berries off trees that ferment in their stomachs, then when they are drunk, they fall out of the trees. True !!
My friend says they are beautiful.

Russ

My parents loved cooking and passed that love on to me, for sure. I come from a country with little culinary tradition. The Netherlands is not internationally known for it's food or hospitality culture, though that is changing with my generation and we actually do have some michelin worthy restaurants now and even though they are not well known we do have some noteworthy culinary traditions which I do try to post about here.

My first memory of food centers around an Italian gelatria owned by a friend of ours who won several international prizes like the Coppa D'oro and eventually became one of the three master Ice cream makers of our country. His ice cream was delicious and I've been fed it from the womb, setting my palate up for preffering Italian gelato to any other kind of ice cream. However, for me even bad ice cream is good because it's the first food I enjoyed as a child. My mother says I had the brightest smile I ever had when I first tasted vanilla ice cream, and real vanilla gelato is still my favorite to this day.

Other important memories are centered around my grand mother who always made a pan full of mini meatballs just for me when I visited, and who served a Dutch treat called 'kroketten' with bread and soup as a sunday lunch. We still eat that once in a while. She always made my favorite meals, which were anything with meatballs and fried potatoes when I was a small child and still a bit picky.

From about 10/11 years old Indonesian food came into the picture, my mother had been married to an Indonesian man before my father and she had a lot of Indonesian friends. Her best friend was of Indonesian heritage too, and later I discovered that I do actually have Indonesian blood too from a distant relative. So Indonesian culture always felt somewhat like home to me. At the age of 10/11 I stopped being very picky because I tried Gado Gado (Indonesian vegetable dish with peanut sauce) and fell in love with the flavors. Soon enough I loved nasi rames and everything that came with it. That opened up my palate to a lot of flavors, and since then I've tried more and more foods. I've come to love lots of foods from many cultures, and a few of my favorites are Indian, Turkish and Italian foods.

I've got more to share if you guys would like to read it, but this is enough typing for now 🙂

My parents loved cooking and passed that love on to me, for sure. I come from a country with little culinary tradition. The Netherlands is not internationally known for it's food or hospitality culture, though that is changing with my generation and we actually do have some michelin worthy restaurants now and even though they are not well known we do have some noteworthy culinary traditions which I do try to post about here.

My first memory of food centers around an Italian gelatria owned by a friend of ours who won several international prizes like the Coppa D'oro and eventually became one of the three master Ice cream makers of our country. His ice cream was delicious and I've been fed it from the womb, setting my palate up for preffering Italian gelato to any other kind of ice cream. However, for me even bad ice cream is good because it's the first food I enjoyed as a child. My mother says I had the brightest smile I ever had when I first tasted vanilla ice cream, and real vanilla gelato is still my favorite to this day.

Other important memories are centered around my grand mother who always made a pan full of mini meatballs just for me when I visited, and who served a Dutch treat called 'kroketten' with bread and soup as a sunday lunch. We still eat that once in a while. She always made my favorite meals, which were anything with meatballs and fried potatoes when I was a small child and still a bit picky.

From about 10/11 years old Indonesian food came into the picture, my mother had been married to an Indonesian man before my father and she had a lot of Indonesian friends. Her best friend was of Indonesian heritage too, and later I discovered that I do actually have Indonesian blood too from a distant relative. So Indonesian culture always felt somewhat like home to me. At the age of 10/11 I stopped being very picky because I tried Gado Gado (Indonesian vegetable dish with peanut sauce) and fell in love with the flavors. Soon enough I loved nasi rames and everything that came with it. That opened up my palate to a lot of flavors, and since then I've tried more and more foods. I've come to love lots of foods from many cultures, and a few of my favorites are Indian, Turkish and Italian foods.

I've got more to share if you guys would like to read it, but this is enough typing for now 🙂

What a lovely mix of food heritages you have. I know you lived in the UK too. It would be great if you could post some Indonesian recipes here.

There used to be a restaurant chain called Lum's. When they introduced Wienerwald Chicken, I swear the pigeon population in the area decreased quite a bit.:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom