What are your first memories of great food?

There used to be a restaurant chain called Lum's. When they introduced Wienerwald Chicken, I swear the pigeon population in the area decreased quite a bit.:whistling:
My wife used to work at Lum's - remember their big beer schooners?!

Food was rationed when I was young so I didn't really have much in the way of great food. I never even had meat but usually vegetables and gravy. Meat went to the workers of the family - my Dad, my brother, and later my sisters. We did used to have curry though. Granddad used to be out in India a lot when Mum was young, and she got used to eating curries. Similarly I brought my daughter up on curries. We kept rabbits and chickens (for eggs), and we used to have chicken for dinner at Christmas and Easter. The first time I ever had what I would call a great dinner was when I was 11. Dad worked at Kelsey Hayes (later part of Fords), and they would have a Christmas meal for workers and their families. It was usually steak but the later ones had turkey. By today's standards, the meals were probably not that exciting but they were the only times I would go out for a meal, so to me they were. The only other times we ate out were maybe when we visited relatives or when we were on holiday to B&Bs and holiday camps where the food was pretty basic.

Food was rationed when I was young so I didn't really have much in the way of great food.

I think this may be about to happen again! In fact, it already has, I suppose.

I know what you mean about eating out as a kid. The only meal we ever had out when I was a kid was when we had a shopping trip to the big Co-op department store (maybe twice a year) to buy clothes. They had a self-service canteen and we all had lunch (called dinner then) out. It was really basic food but to me it seemed wonderful.

I know what you mean about eating out as a kid. The only meal we ever had out when I was a kid was when we had a shopping trip to the big Co-op department store (maybe twice a year) to buy clothes. They had a self-service canteen and we all had lunch (called dinner then) out. It was really basic food but to me it seemed wonderful.
Ciao Bella,
I feel you right what we used to have may no be available for while, many things change and how what cook will also.
Sarana x

Yes that's why I have always prepped for this and also bought some books about wartime cooking.
I revert to way I brought up by mama, throw nothing you look for tomorrow, look at thing would not usually. Hope the best prepare for worse. Preserve, pickle any thing so extend what have.

Sarana x

Mum and Dad used to take me shopping with them on Mondays. We used to go in Lyons's and have a cheese roll with tea or coffee for them and milk and a dash for me. Great fun!

My early years were spent mainly on my grandparents farm, so food was simple but hearty, and mostly home grown. We did eat pickled herrings quite often, and I've no idea how they found their way onto the menu. I do remember a family holiday to a seafront hotel in Weston Super Mare when I was four. This ocasioned my first experience of exotic food - blueberry pie! In retrospect I think it was bilberry pie. I wish I could get hold of some bilberries to recreate the experience - blueberries are a pretty tasteless relative.

Saranak, you wont believe me but I thought I had eaten good food but when I was 30 I moved to Campania and realised my taste buds had been starved up until then . . .also when I got there I actually did not like the pizza as I was used to processed American Domino rubbish so it took my some time for my taste to really appreciate good ingredients and quality.

Saranak, you wont believe me but I thought I had eaten good food but when I was 30 I moved to Campania and realised my taste buds had been starved up until then . . .also when I got there I actually did not like the pizza as I was used to processed American Domino rubbish so it took my some time for my taste to really appreciate good ingredients and quality.
Many people say same Rich, when I home I hear many tourist say WOW so this what should be like! Napoli Pizza is fantastic, as you know we invent it some find difficult because how they cooked to be honest I find Pizza in UK nasty, they all seem taste same do not matter what topping is! In fact my Bambini refuse eat it!
Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom