What are your interest/hobbies - besides cooking

Have a gander at Hattons or Olivia's.

Two I'd recommend to anyone, with no hesitation.
I will check them out but we are a long way from from buying any further rolling stack just yet. I usually make my own scenery [buildings etc] mainly by buying cheap kits and modifying/improving them to suit my needs. Still it fills in time between dog walks :D
All sorts of people have seen it, including the Queen, but I don't have the necessary security clearance to go and see it again.
Is it still there ? My nephew was in the RAF [pilot] I will ask if he's seen it

I will check them out but we are a long way from from buying any further rolling stack just yet. I usually make my own scenery [buildings etc] mainly by buying cheap kits and modifying/improving them to suit my needs. Still it fills in time between dog walks :D

I used to know a couple of blokes who worked for Hattons; although they did branch out on their own at least for a while they were still connected. They used to stay in my house when they were down here, so we used to get a first view of some of the stock they had. They were OK, although Hattons seems to have expanded a bit since those days.

Is it still there ? My nephew was in the RAF [pilot] I will ask if he's seen it

I haven't a clue! I made it in the early 1990s, so that's anyone's guess :laugh: All I remember is that it was in the Officers Mess, and it was in a small display case.

Writing occupies a fair deal of my time. As veterans of these boards will know - because I've bored them to tears with it - I've had two books published. I've got three on the go at the moment, although one isn't going very far because it's been on and off for several years and is distinctly off at present. I've also got a really good character that I've invented, but unfortunately I haven't found a way to fit her into a story yet. Give me time.

I also have a blog that is mainly, though not exclusively, dedicated to travel in eastern Europe.

Other than that, I take a (thoroughly scientific) interest in tasting beer from lots of independent breweries. If this can be done in conjunction with watching Italian football on telly, even better.

@Elawin - did you photograph your creations before turning them over to your clients?
I didn't have a camera at the time :(. I think I may have some photos somewhere of some my early calligraphy attempts which I still have; I'll see if I can find them. My favourite one I gave to my friend the tutor and unfortunately he is long gone so I don't know if that survived (again, no photo). He came from Sheffield and I think his daughter lived up there still, but I don't if even she is still alive.

I did attempt Calligraphy at one time. At best I was fair. Due to nerve damage in my right arm/hand I no longer have the fine motor skills necessary to even practice.

In 2002 "Us Girls" - three sisters- decided to give my Mother a room makeover for Christmas. The first project was her kitchen/dining area.
Christmas Eve we presented her with this little ditty and sang it to her to the tune of "We Three Kings"

We Three Queens
We three queens of Begnaud Decent,
Bearing gifts we came and we went
Kitchen, Bedroom, Living room, Bathroom,
All of our time well spent.
Refrain
Oh - Oh room or wonder, room of light,
Room with royal beauty bright,
Lamps and fixtures, paint and pictures,
Change a room in just one night.

Born we girls to Doris and Jim,
Once again we sing you a hymn,
Pick a location, take a vacation
Return once we finish the trim.
Refrain
Walls to paint, and paint once again,
Cover a pillow, put beads on as trim,
Insane forever, ceasing never,
Commit us before we begin.

Refrain
Trading Spaces, and While You Were Out
are jealous of us and have started to pout.
We've no carpenter nor a designer,
Don't worry we'll figure it out.

Refrain
For seven years mother received a room makeover for Christmas. Kitchen/dining area, Mom's bedroom, living room and guest bath, 2 other bedrooms - 1 per year, den, main bath. We never got around to her hall or the small shower bath. Need to talk to my sisters about doing that this year.

My main passion for the last few years has been cycling. When I'm not cycling I'm reading or chatting about cycling. My next passion is eating cake which means making cakes comes next! I'm not really a very creative person because I am quite clumsy but I enjoy taking photos and pottering in the garden. I used to be an avid reader but less so now since the age of social media!

I used to be an avid reader but less so now since the age of social media!

Funnily, I read a lot more now, probably because reading online or on a Kindle or eReader I can magnify the print enough to be to read it, rather than have to trouble with a print book or magazine. Even with some of the so-called large print books I find I need a magnifying glass, which doesn't make it very easy to read either. And of course, there is a lot more choice online of both books and audiobooks these days via our local library. In fact, with some of the titles, they no longer stock the print versions.

If it was in the officers mess he might well have seen it if it was still there [he actually completed his service several years ago] I will check - at the moment he is working in sunny Saudi
It would be interesting to know, although I expect after all this time, if it is still there, it's in a cupboard somewhere rather than still on display :laugh: Unfortunately I no longer have the shop records, so I can't look up the name of the individual who actually placed the order.

My main passion for the last few years has been cycling. When I'm not cycling I'm reading or chatting about cycling. My next passion is eating cake which means making cakes comes next! I'm not really a very creative person because I am quite clumsy but I enjoy taking photos and pottering in the garden. I used to be an avid reader but less so now since the age of social media!

I used to love cycling - I had a racing bike back in the day. I haven't dared ride a bike for the last 15 or so years (I'm old and afraid to fall and break bones). I miss it. This has reminded me of another passion when I was younger: horse riding. I was addicted. Another thing I haven't done for decades. I suppose I could do that again at a gentle pace! I will look into it...

Back
Top Bottom