What cooking oil do you use?

GM crops are banned in the UK too at the moment. The point of my reply was that cold-pressed rapeseed oil is the healthy one, hot-pressed rapeseed oil is not. I doubt whether a lot of people would be aware that there is a difference between the two.

In that case the vast fields of gloriously yellow rapeseed in the UK can't be GM then... ?

As I said, grown here.
Imported is another matter entirely.

It's similar with sugar. All Australian sugar is vegan. That is all sugar grown in Australia.
Anything imported, whether as sugar or contained within something is another matter.

The use of animals bones as char to clean sugar was banned decades ago in Australia. If you buy something like Billingtons sugar then you need to know if it's vegan or not.

All Australian grown and made food is very proudly labelled as such. They take great pride in it being made start to finish in Australia. It's more environmentally friendly despite the very long distances it may have travelled to get to you!

As I said, grown here.
Imported is another matter entirely.

It's similar with sugar. All Australian sugar is vegan. That is all sugar grown in Australia.
Anything imported, whether as sugar or contained within something is another matter.

The use of animals bones as char to clean sugar was banned decades ago in Australia. If you buy something like Billingtons sugar then you need to know if it's vegan or not.

All Australian grown and made food is very proudly labelled as such. They take great pride in it being made start to finish in Australia. It's more environmentally friendly despite the very long distances it may have travelled to get to you!

I thought you meant that GM crops weren't allowed to be grown:

All GM crops are banned in Australian foods, and cannot be grown here.

According to the Silver Spoon / Billington's website:
"Are Billington’s Sugars suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
Billington’s sugars are suitable for vegetarians and vegans, however, our Golden Icing sugar is produced in a factory which handles egg and therefore carries a ‘may contain traces of’ warning on pack and should be avoided by vegans.
Do Billington’s Sugars contain animal bone char?
No bone char is used in the manufacturing or processing of our sugars.
Are Billington’s Sugars GM free?
We do not use genetically modified cane to produce our sugars."

According to the Silver Spoon / Billington's website:
"Are Billington’s Sugars suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
Billington’s sugars are suitable for vegetarians and vegans, however, our Golden Icing sugar is produced in a factory which handles egg and therefore carries a ‘may contain traces of’ warning on pack and should be avoided by vegans.
Do Billington’s Sugars contain animal bone char?
No bone char is used in the manufacturing or processing of our sugars.
Are Billington’s Sugars GM free?
We do not use genetically modified cane to produce our sugars."
You're correct, Billingtons was a bad choice. It's one I know is fine. I should have chosen a different one but can't remember any of them! And I had just purchased a packet of Billington’s golden caster sugar, a concept not known in Australia.

You're correct, Billingtons was a bad choice. It's one I know is fine. I should have chosen a different one but can't remember any of them! And I had just purchased a packet of Billington’s golden caster sugar, a concept not known in Australia.
I usually use brown sugar, when I always buy Billington's. I did try another brand but it was more like granulated sugar that had been coloured and didn't have that gorgeous flavour.

Our sugar is produced by Chelsea sugar co.

Back to oil, I use vegetable oil for my deep fryer, evoo for day to day, but I also use meat drippings for making a roast.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom