What cooking oil do you use?

When I am cooking an oriental dish especially the Chinese and Japanese types, I try to use peanut oil to achieve the taste I am going for. I think I love the nutty flavor and aroma of it. I also add a little extra towards the end of my cooking for added flavor. The price of it is quite expensive and it burns quickly so better be careful with your temperature

I use olive oil when I have the extra money. When I am strapped for cash, I use canola oil. Canola oil is sort of like an alternative for olive oil in terms of the health benefits. Using shortening or lard is totally a thing in the past for me.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the most recommended because of its health benefits. It is believed that olive oil helps prevent our DNA from aging. I also use sunflower oil but I completely avoid cooking fat.

Since 5 years ago, we use canola oil in the kitchen. It says on the label that it is cholesterol free so that's what we were buying ever since because I have a high level of cholesterol. Now I am working out a bit so the cholesterol has simmered a bit. By the way, my husband is in charge of the kitchen that's why we do not argue with what he wants because what if he gets peeved and wouldn't cook? Besides, he is always trying to find a healthier way of eating and cooking food for our benefit.

Since 5 years ago, we use canola oil in the kitchen. It says on the label that it is cholesterol free so that's what we were buying ever since because I have a high level of cholesterol. Now I am working out a bit so the cholesterol has simmered a bit. By the way, my husband is in charge of the kitchen that's why we do not argue with what he wants because what if he gets peeved and wouldn't cook? Besides, he is always trying to find a healthier way of eating and cooking food for our benefit.
As far as I understand, Canola is what we in UK know as Rapeseed oil. I use it all the time. Its cheap and healthy and we can even buy posh cold-pressed rapeseed. A lot of high end restaurants are using this in special dishes. Fascinating to see where the name 'Canola' came from!
In the 1970s, farmers developed strains of rapeseed with low and, in the American parlance, "generally recognized as safe" levels of erucic acid. They also found ways to treat it and remove the unpalatable bitterness. Many of these innovations arose in Canada, which has a good climate for growing rapeseed, and in 1978 the splendidly named Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers Association registered a product called "canola", a somewhat Draperish portmanteau of "Canadian Oil, Low Acid".

Canola,I believe is a mixture of rape seeds as their is more than one seed used,
The rape seed oil I use I can see the plants grow and even see it pressed

Honestly, I don't know anything about canola oil, hahahaaa. We just relied on the advertisements and the writeups we had read about canola cooking oil. Besides, it is a bit cheaper than other types of cooking oil. But practically, they all look the same to me since I am not much aware in details of cooking. The usual cooking oil that we use before canola is the vegetable oil.

Canola,I believe is a mixture of rape seeds as their is more than one seed used,
The rape seed oil I use I can see the plants grow and even see it pressed
Its quite confusing because Canola is a form of rapeseed which has been bred (originally in Canada) to remove two undesirable chemicals. If you look at pictures of canola plants they look exactly like rapeseed. What we call rapeseed is the same as canola because otherwise we would be using the oil with the undesirable chemicals(!). Canola only contains the seed of the canola plant and isn't mixed with other seeds.

The real problem with the name "rapeseed oil" is that the oil was so toxic that the FDA banned it for human consumption in 1956. So when Canadian growers bred a new variety of rapeseed in the 1970s with a lower content of the toxic erucic acid, they decided they needed a new name for it.

The term canola was coined from "Canadian oil, low acid" to convince consumers that this oil was safe to eat. And while "canola" was originally a registered trademark, the term became so widely known that the trademark was eventually abandoned, and "canola" became the default term in many countries for any low-erucic rapeseed oil
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034733_canola_oil_rapeseed_food_labels.html#ixzz3h4kbAaDK

Nah I'll stick with my post ,I've had a quick read,it's a oil from a variety of seeds,and a seed bred for purpose,and as we were talking about oil,I'll stick with my answer
I can see were confusion lies

Nah I'll stick with my post ,I've had a quick read,it's a oil from a variety of seeds,and a seed bred for purpose,and as we were talking about oil,I'll stick with my answer
I can see were confusion lies

The trademark Canola can only be used for 100 percent canola seed oil. http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/where.php. It is the only kind of rapeseed which can be used for human consumption and is the same as our rapeseed.

This article from the Guardian explains the history and how the plant came to be grown here. But it also points out the difference between the high end rapeseed used by chefs and the bog standard cheap one. I'm now put off using the cheap one!!!

Canola refers to both an edible oil (also known as canola oil) produced from the seed of any of several varieties of the rape plant, and to those plants, namely a cultivar of either rapeseed (Brassica napus L.) or field mustard/turnip rape

Canola was bred naturally from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba, Canada, by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s, and had a different nutritional profile, in addition to much less erucic acid. In the international community, canola is generally referred to as rapeseed

I'm not a cut and paste sort of chap but this comes from the same page
It provides a definition of my first post,,and evidence of the seed manufacturer
And have also read that some sites do say a specific type of plant,

My go to oil for cooking is canola oil. I like to use to use this for sauteing, stir fries, and deep frying. Sometimes I'll use olive oil or sunflower oil too. My husband loves foods cooked in bacon grease so every once in a while I'll fry and egg or chicken in bacon grease if I have some left over from breakfast. I use butter when I cook eggs. i just love the taste of a fried egg in butter. I have tried avocado oil and coconut oil for their health properties but once I use up the bottle I go back to my favourite canola oil. I find coconut oil has a very strong flavour and it can overwhelm what I'm cooking. I prefer to use the coconut oil in baking rather than cooking.

We use extra virgin olive oil for essentially everything in our house. Though, we have started to look at hemp oil as something we can use in dressings and other matters. Just gotta be careful because you don't want to be smoking up the house!

I'm another that the oil will depend on what I'm cooking. I normally use sunflower oil for generic frying when I want a high temperature and minimal flavour interference. Olive oil for dressings but also for some gentle frying (if the flavour suits) and when I'm sweating onions for a tomato sauce. Rapeseed oil is really versatile and I occasionally use it just for a change, its also useful for adding colour (eg. to shallow fried potatoes). I do use butter and lard for some recipes as they just taste better, and I often save the fat from Sunday roasts and add it to a pot of generic fat (from several meaty sources) that I then use for roast potatoes. Specifically for roasties I also use duck or goose fat sometimes.

I guess I don't follow the "healthy" oil trend - I just try not to use too much of any fat/oil, and if a dish is particularly heavy in fat then its something we try not to eat too much of.

I'm another that the oil will depend on what I'm cooking. I normally use sunflower oil for generic frying when I want a high temperature and minimal flavour interference. Olive oil for dressings but also for some gentle frying (if the flavour suits) and when I'm sweating onions for a tomato sauce. Rapeseed oil is really versatile and I occasionally use it just for a change, its also useful for adding colour (eg. to shallow fried potatoes). I do use butter and lard for some recipes as they just taste better, and I often save the fat from Sunday roasts and add it to a pot of generic fat (from several meaty sources) that I then use for roast potatoes. Specifically for roasties I also use duck or goose fat sometimes.

I guess I don't follow the "healthy" oil trend - I just try not to use too much of any fat/oil, and if a dish is particularly heavy in fat then its something we try not to eat too much of.
Some very good rape seed oil from pratts in the west of your county

Back
Top Bottom