What did you cook, eat or drink today (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you like onion bhajees?

Russ

This is my take on onion bhajis (Mridula Baljekar's style):

onion bhaji.jpg

Last edited:
Made up a litre of fig molasses yesterday. This time I left the skins on ,but topped and tailed the figs, then halved around their equator, reassembled and quartered, so that they are in eights. Then I stewed them for many hours in lots of water. Once that turned to syrup, more water was added and then the sieving started. I tried the easy option of the my milk bag but it was simply too fine and nothing came through, so it was the smaller of my 2 sieves because that had a much finer mesh. Then one that was done I had about 5litres of syrup which needed boiling down and skimming frequently.

I also found a new feature on my cooker. After a certain time period at a certain temp (in this case maximum on the double ring to accommodate my preserving pan, it will start bleeping . Initially every half hour , then more frequently before it turns itself off ! Why didn't it so that when I feel asleep with the figs and water on the ring earlier in the morning ?

So I now have just over 1 litre of finely sieved fig molasses . It isn't quite the dark brown of dark chocolate that the online versions are ,but it is much smoother than the fig something that I made earlier in the week.

Yours look real nice, I love them real crispy. I never heard of that Indian name. I'll have a look at him/her. Always looking for other people's take on it.

I have this book of hers (she's written many). The image on the cover is one of my favourite Indian dishes - Egg and Potato Dum.

The-Complete-Indian-Cookbook-Hardback-Mridula-Baljekar.jpg

I have this book of hers (she's written many). The image on the cover is one of my favourite Indian dishes - Egg and Potato Dum.

The-Complete-Indian-Cookbook-Hardback-Mridula-Baljekar.jpg

Thanks Yorky. I'll give the name to my daughter, she loves going through book shops and finding cooking books for me. She got me my best book so far by Margaret Fulton.

Russ

Easy tea tonight because it was late due to me having to collect hubby off the bus which entails a 25km round trip. It's better than me having to collect him from Canberra mind you (though tea would have been at earlier) which is roughly speaking 125km round trip give our take a km.

Plus someone mentioned national pie week and I just so happened to find the really nice pies in the freezer section of the local supermarket (local bring a relative term here, it's 45mins each way !) whilst I was at the doctor's on Wednesday.

So the oven was programmed just in case and the pies abandoned to technology at a 160°C temp, that's called me playing it safe not wanting to burn tea.

_20190308_210912.JPG

We're in our RV in Orange County Ca. Wife is attending a Nurses and Doctors cancer treatment seminar-athon.
I made my Mexican Lasagna from the recipe I got off the back of a Campbells soup can.
Been making this for friends an family over 10 years now and it's amazing. A favorite of everyone.

svicXfZ.jpg

A slightly similar Recipe but not as good is also in the Crock Pot Casserole style cookers enclosed booklet. What really sets it apart from the written recipe is using Trader Joes Enchilada Sauce. It's streets ahead of all other sauces. Use 1 and 1/2 bottles instead of just the 1 listed in the recipe. Soft, small yellow corn tortillas sets it off too.

We're in our RV in Orange County Ca. Wife is attending a Nurses and Doctors cancer treatment seminar-athon.
I made my Mexican Lasagna from the recipe I got off the back of a Campbells soup can.
Been making this for friends an family over 10 years now and it's amazing. A favorite of everyone.

svicXfZ.jpg

A slightly similar Recipe but not as good is also in the Crock Pot Casserole style cookers enclosed booklet. What really sets it apart from the written recipe is using Trader Joes Enchilada Sauce. It's streets ahead of all other sauces. Use 1 and 1/2 bottles instead of just the 1 listed in the recipe. Soft, small yellow corn tortillas sets it off too.
Hi and welcome to CookingBites. :welcome:
Have you found you found your way over to the New Member Introductions area yet where you can say hello and anything else you want to say about yourself . I really must rename that to something more friendly.

SNSSO

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom