What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thin sliced porchetta sliders with caramelized onions and a roasted vege mayo made with red bell, onion, tomato, garlic, and cilantro. No pictures, ate really late, not too hungry, plus we were tired after driving over to Florida's west coast and back to see DD and DGDs, and treating them to coal-fired pizzas for lunch

I have finally cooked for the first time in 3 weeks! Kitchen not finished but with 1 of my new ovens the pressure cooker and the microwave I managed to knock up beef casserole jacket potato peas and carrots! Yippee!

fullsizeoutput_3e1a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Inspired by @Wandering Bob's sterling bread making I thought I would try something outside of my baking comfort zone (packet mix, loaf tin etc.). I found a recipe and tweeked it a little - 70% wholemeal, 20% white and 10% buckwheat flour.

Hey @epicuric … your bread looks great ! It's flattering to think that I inspired you to make this. I'm really pleased that you added some buckwheat flour - I think if you like that flavour, you'll find that you use it a lot more often in loaves. Can I suggest that you also consider adding some caraway seeds (only one teaspoon) to your next loaf? I've found - as have my neighbours - that caraway seeds & buckwheat flour make for a really beguiling taste combination.

Another attempt at the perfect deep fried soft-boiled egg. This time 4mins 45 secs in the microwave to boil the egg (wrapped in foil and submerged in boiled water). A simple flour, egg and breadcrumb coating.

And the reveal....

That looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red meat Saturday! Rib eyes..we're closed Sundays at the deli so often I bring home well aged beef that isn't going to sell in another two days..I like the stuff that looks like an old catcher's mitt..cooks up mighty fine...
46515895_325609034886855_8071796175566536704_n.jpg

Last edited:
Another attempt at the perfect deep fried soft-boiled egg. This time 4mins 45 secs in the microwave to boil the egg (wrapped in foil and submerged in boiled water). A simple flour, egg and breadcrumb coating.

View attachment 20763

And the reveal...

View attachment 20764
Can you give me the full directions on this? Looks like something I have to try..I love it..

I even like the pan, cooking surface and surroundings...

NICE!
My favorite pan.Got it at a second hand shop..It was manufactured a few miles down the road about 60 years ago..had a wooden handle at some point, but it must have burnt off. Somebody made one out of 1/2 inch copper pipe.. it's perfect.It can go in the oven now.

Last edited:
Hey @epicuric … your bread looks great ! It's flattering to think that I inspired you to make this. I'm really pleased that you added some buckwheat flour - I think if you like that flavour, you'll find that you use it a lot more often in loaves. Can I suggest that you also consider adding some caraway seeds (only one teaspoon) to your next loaf? I've found - as have my neighbours - that caraway seeds & buckwheat flour make for a really beguiling taste combination.
Thanks @Wandering Bob, I will give caraway seeds a try.

The plan was sausage, potatoes and green chillis. However, we didn't have any green cayenne chillis so I substituted red Thai chillis. Significantly hotter and I ended up with a bit of a sweat on at an ambient temperature of 33 degC .

sausage potatoes chillis 1 s.jpg

Last night, we used up some of the leftover smoked turkey in smoked turkey soup with wild rice, carrots, onions, green onions, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary. It also has a bit of sherry added in at the end. It's a longstanding fave to use up smoked turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom