What did you cook/eat today (April 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I love green papaya salad, especially with fried whole fish.
Unripe papaya had been impossible to find in Leicester, along with many of the more interesting South Asian ingredients. However, our two Universities - Leicester Uni and DeMontfort Uni now have tie ins with Chinese institutions and are actively recruiting students from China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia etc. The result is the supermarkets have started stocking items familiar to them and a number of South Asian food shops and restaurants have sprung up and I can get my hands on the goodies.:woot:

@buckytom

Nice work - I was excited when I read seaweed salad. I love it and always get it if I go out for sushi.

I want to make it at home. I'm assuming it's a dried product, reconstituted then dressed with rice wine vinegar, sugar & sesame oil + seeds but I can't source the dried wakame. Will be hunting for it on my next Asian grocery trip.

I have recently become a little obsessed with Korean BBQ - I've got a charcoal grill on lay by and I've been researching charcoal etc for weeks. I bought an enormous daikon to pickle and we made sticky rice balls. As well as a cucumber salad.

This is the marinade I bought - the first few times I used it on these thin pork chops I get a a Vietnamese butcher but I used it on chicken thighs last time.

https://goo.gl/images/Tf5W1H

I'm so looking forward to playing with Fire.

Last edited:
Last nights meal was at a friends wedding.

Entree - deconstructed prawn cocktail - 6 large king prawns, peeled, laid on a bed of shaved iceberg, with a smear of cocktail sauce, a lemon cheek & a sprinkle of sumac. With a dinner roll & butter.

Main - beef steak - I think sous vide then grilled to put a char pattern on, cooked through but incredibly tender (I am a rare steak person so I was surprised I enjoyed this) with rosemary fondant potatoes, roast pumpkin, peas & carrot. A little jus then 2 king prawns on top. I love prawns but I probably wouldn't put them on this with the jus.

Home-made grilled halloumi salad with crispy bacon, egg and harissa yoghurt dressing (for Recipe Challenge):

fullsizeoutput_3295.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3297.jpeg

And with the dressing:

fullsizeoutput_329d.jpeg

Last edited:
Last nights meal was at a friends wedding.

Entree - deconstructed prawn cocktail - 6 large king prawns, peeled, laid on a bed of shaved iceberg, with a smear of cocktail sauce, a lemon cheek & a sprinkle of sumac. With a dinner roll & butter.

Main - beef steak - I think sous vide then grilled to put a char pattern on, cooked through but incredibly tender (I am a rare steak person so I was surprised I enjoyed this) with rosemary fondant potatoes, roast pumpkin, peas & carrot. A little jus then 2 king prawns on top. I love prawns but I probably wouldn't put them on this with the jus.

Sounds like a bit of a posh wedding do! :D I've been trying to sous-vide steak but I don't find it works that well - its probably me. The best steak I did recently was salt cured for a few hours and was better than the sous vide I did. But I'm a sous vide newbie...

I didn't get pictures of all of the side dishes, called banchan, but here's various steamed and seasoned veggies. (spicy bean sprouts, pickled cukes, steamed Korean spinach - served cold, and julienned sweet radish)
[QUOTE="buckytom, post:

Holy crap, Tom. I think I’m going to have to detour the family vacation to your neck of the woods next time you have one of these ridiculously awesome barbecues.

Squid jerky, huh? Wow.

Sunday roast was chicken. On an onion trivet. With carrots, pumpkin & potato. Steamed broccoli, beans & zucchini.

Gravy was onion & dried mixed herbs.

Dinner tonight is roast leg of lamb at my friends place, his pregnant daughter and her partner are going to be there and they want us to go as well. He's a good cook, not quite as good as me though.lol. Looking forward to it.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom