What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed bean salad with red onion, tomato, parsley, avocado and watercress. Its all vegan in this neck of the woods. :(:):unsure::scratchhead:

20170718_204245.jpg

20170718_204257.jpg

Last edited:
Hamburger patties with sautéed onions covered in brown gravy with French fries and cream style corn.

Friday night's dinner was leftovers night. Some leftover stuffed cabbage leaves fried, leftover rice, and leftover potato filling from the cabbage leaves made into potato cakes and fried, with the last knockings of a thinly sliced red romano pepper scattered over the top. Followed by blackberries and yoghurt, of course.

Hot weather calls for cool foods in our house. Hubby had grilled a tuna steak when he did the hot dogs on Wednesday, so I chunked that up on top of a very veggie salad. Trust me when I say there really was a bed of greens underneath all of that good stuff.

20170721_220843.jpg

A much-later dessert was fresh cantaloupe with a bit of vanilla ice cream.

Quick supper of ham and beans. I bought a half of a ham, the shank portion, and had the butcher cut a thick steak before wrapping it up. I cooked the ham in my big saute pan, adding about 1 1/2 pounds of fresh green beans. We don't usually eat limp beans, but there is something special about long cooking them with ham that makes them so smoky and salty. Left lots of ham - finished the beans.

20170722_212319.jpg

I've not exactly been banned from the kitchen this past week, but Mrs. E had commented that I had kind of taken over the kitchen of late, and become just a little bit obsessive about cooking. Anyway, to redress the balance, she undertook to cook for the week, which actually suited me as I was rather busy with work stuff. Despite the fact that she has cooked up some marvellous food I have been getting withdrawal symptoms. I did make the occasional foray into the kitchen, being unable to resist the odd prod and poke at whatever she was cooking, but good sense prevented me from coming out with "no, you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this.." Actually, it was less to do with good sense and more to do with steely looks that could have stopped a raging elephant at fifty paces.

Anyway, my week off culminated yesterday in a splendid lunch of Moules Normandes:
IMG_1706.JPG

Last night I finally got back into the kitchen all on my own, and managed a pork tenderloin stuffed with black pudding (wrapped in bacon), and a mustard sauce. Not the prettiest dish, but it's great to be back!
IMG_1708.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom