What did you cook/eat today (June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fried cutlet and rocket salad/aragula as side. And today is the birthday of a my colleague and she made a carrot cake with hazelnuts...very interesting and lovely cake. No photo, we were like piranhas :D

Last edited:
Bacon and mushroom sarnie (with the bread (sourdough) dipped). A slight excess of filling.

bacon-mushroom- 5 s.jpg

Tonight will be fried chicken, fried squash, mashed potatoes & gravy, black Eyed peas??, and biscuits.

Last night, tonight and tomorrow night was/will all be the same.

I cooked a variation of my Grannie's homemade lasagne. My husband even commented on it that it was very nice. I think he was disappointed that I didn't want seconds, I have a suspicion he wanted more but I'm trying hard to cut back on what we eat portion wise whilst keeping up the protein levels.

Anyhow, the tomato sauce part ran into a problem at the very start. The celery was dead - not limp dead. It has been in water to keep it alive and it was lovely and green and doing really well, loads of leaves, but the stems were hollow and dead. nothing too them and I wasn't going to put them into the lasagne. So I only had onions, tomatoes and carrots...not that celery make that much difference but still. So I added some red lentils (yeh I know, red lentils are often substitutions for celery aren't they?) and then set about making the white sauce. It wasn't going to be the usual milk based one because I had 1 and a part of cauliflowers to use up. We had to buy one at the weekend to obtain extra greens for my chickens. So I steamed the cauliflowers and stalks/stems all but the really tough part of the stem which was pretty much all of the stem/stalk steamed for both cauliflowers. I kept the water from the steaming because I was going to use some of it to liquidise the steamed cauliflower with. Once that was done, I added some flavours, (tabasco, the remains of a bottle of senap (Swedish sweet mustard) and a good dollop of wholegrain mustard), and some nutritional yeast. Raiding the pantry and the spice shelves, I decided to add something extra to the tomato base, and added the last of the hot madras curry powder and several handfuls of soya protein (TVP mince). I didn't cook the TVP mince, leaving that to soak up the excess liquid in the oven. The lasagne normally takes an hour in the oven, but I was busy and knew hubby was going to be late home, so I decided to half the temperature and double the cooking time. I gave it 2 hours on Gas mark 2. It was lovely. I can't wait for more of it this evening. The hot madras curry powder and TVP mince are a wonderful mix and using the cauliflower instead of milk for the sauce not only gets extra veg into the meal but lowers the calories as well. Hubby undid all of that though by serving it with 2 fried eggs. He was meant to have served it with greens (broccoli, spinach, peas, broad beans, or even edamame beans - any of those) but he is blind to the concept of calories and veg servings etc... Oh well.

We also finished off the last of the Shaker Lemon Pie as well. It was great with the sweet shortcrust pastry that was rather like shortbread but the lemons really needed to be sliced up much more finely. I'll know for next time.

Thursday night's concoction..... I mean dinner, was a take on egg, bacon, onion, tomatoes and chips with plenty of mustard, followed by my scoffing a whole bowl of strawberries.

I made beef Stroganoff tonight. Served it over a few noodles, had a salad along side of it...happy tummy. "Dessert" was a thick slice of Sally Lunn bread toasted, buttered, then sprinkled with a very light dusting of sugar.
20170608_222916.jpg

The sauce/gravy was a little thin because I was hungry and in too much of a hurry to thicken it. The only flour was what I used to dust the raw meat bits with before I seared them. Hey, fewer calories means I could have an extra noodle!

Yes the black Eyed Peas turned out good after putting them on the stove.
They were originally in "The Electric Bean Pot" circa 1972. It is a small hot plate that you put a ceramic pot on top of. To me, it didn't get hot enough to cook them. (Hot but not even simmering). I am thinking the age of the hot plate might have a bit to do with it.
That's ok. I will put it on the "what was she thinking shelf" with a note inside to its history.
My mom found it in a dumpster behind Woolco. (Predecessor of Walmart) in 1972.

No, "Woolco" was Woolworth's version of Kresge's "K-Mart". Wal-Mart was its own thing, being a take on the name of the founder Sam Walton. ~ My Mom worked at the corner Woolworth's when I was in school (and beyond) for a little "pin money". When they started up with Woolco she bemoaned "they're going to kill Woolworth's off!"

Those of you in the UK, do you still have Woolworth's around? I know they lasted longer on your side of the pond once they closed them over here.

No, "Woolco" was Woolworth's version of Kresge's "K-Mart". Wal-Mart was its own thing, being a take on the name of the founder Sam Walton. ~ My Mom worked at the corner Woolworth's when I was in school (and beyond) for a little "pin money". When they started up with Woolco she bemoaned "they're going to kill Woolworth's off!"

Those of you in the UK, do you still have Woolworth's around? I know they lasted longer on your side of the pond once they closed them over here.
I used Walmart because not everyone knows K-mart.
Now what were the initials in front of Woolworth?
To me, K-mart and Walmart are very similar stores and when Walmart came to our town, they moved into the Woolco store. It was one day a Woolco, a few weeks later a Walmart.
K-mart had it's own building catty cornered across the street.

Yup, F. W.

You say "were", @Yorky. Is that because they are no longer in the U.K., or because you are no longer there?

I think they are still there (or maybe not). I was just guessing that the F.W. had been dropped. This is an image of one in England (I think).

DSC03515.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom