What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful! @LadyBelle introduced me to them with this recipe:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/welsh-cakes.11056/#post-97875

Speaking of which, I'm going to have to add this to my ever-growing list of Dishes to Make Again.

Welsh Cakes made yesterday:

fullsizeoutput_2dc9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2dc5.jpeg

Silly me - I just realised its a restaurant chain! :giggle:
In Detroit, a Coney Island refers to a way of serving hot dog, as well as the restaurants that serve those hotdogs. A Coney dog has chili, onions, and yellow mustard. Restaurants that serve these are typically call diners.

In Detroit, a Coney Island refers to a way of serving hot dog, as well as the restaurants that serve those hotdogs. A Coney dog has chili, onions, and yellow mustard. Restaurants that serve these are typically call diners.

My favorite breakfast at my favorite Coney Island.
Thank you! So I'm assuming that @detroitdad had breakfast in a Coney Island diner? Or did he make it at home? :scratchhead:

Either way it looks delicious! We are, after all, big on eggs here - so three eggs is perfect. :happy:

Started off this AM .. snacking on crispy roast duck scrap/renderings (doing a 16 hour sous vide duck confit as I write this)

Went to an Italian wine tasting/brunch downtown (La Terrazza);
Arancino (very good) - with a cold bubbling deep red wine
Salmon (meh)- with 2 white wines
Lamb tagliatelle (terrible) - with 3 reds
Braised veal (very good) - with 2 reds
Rack of lamb ..sous vide and crisped (to DIE FOR!!) - with 3 reds
Cheese/sweet plate (not bad!) - with a sweet red

going to do the "faster than mac & cheese pasta".. in a while..for a very late night dinner..

/end brag :smug:

Started off this AM .. snacking on crispy roast duck scrap/renderings (doing a 16 hour sous vide duck confit as I write this)

going to do the "faster than mac & cheese pasta".. in a while..for a very late night dinner..

Excellent brag #boastpost did you buy any of the wines?

We are going to a wine tasting at a deli next friday - they have eight Italian wines for us, each with a tapas style tasting dish matched with them. We've been to one of their tastings before, it was very good.

We do get "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on the TV over here, there are some interesting looking places which we would like to try, but often when watching we play 'spot the vegetable' :happy:
We also get "Man V Food" which is just wrong :facepalm:

Am I correct in presuming that the reds and whites were not "bottles of"?

Last edited:
I watched an episode of Andrew Zimmern's "Delicious Destinations" about Scotland. One of the featured items were Scottish pies. We hadn't been to the grocery yet and had one more meal to add to the list. I tossed a few ingredients around in my head and added the pies to the menu. The filling for my version has:
Ground/minced beef, 90/10
Chopped onions
Chopped celery
Minced garlic
Diced carrots
Diced potatoes
Diced criminis
Pinch of dried rosemary
Pinch of dried thyme
Red wine
Worcestershire
Beef broth
Salt and pepper
Flour

Karen made the pie dough and we used a large muffin tin.
full?d=1520126209.jpg

I made sprouts with with bacon (streaky), onions and balsamic vinegar as a side.
full?d=1520126247.jpg

One of the featured items were Scottish pies. W

I've never made Scottish Pies (in the UK they're usually called Scotch Pies). They used to be sold at football grounds in Scotland (maybe they still are?). The versions I know of uses lamb but i think mutton would probably have been used in the past.

Yours look great!

Last edited:
I've never made Scottish Pies (in the UK they're usually called Scotch Pies). They used to be sold at football grounds in Scotland (maybe they still are?). The versions I know of uses lamb but i think mutton would probably have been used in the past.

Yours look great!

Yes, they are generally made from mutton and in the north, deep fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom