What did you cook or eat today (April 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagging them? I think putting them in bags would be ok, though I don't. After I take them out of the sprouting jar I put mine in a container in the refrigerator.
View attachment 112840
I just started a new batch of seeds yesterday:
View attachment 112841
Looking back I think you may have been referring to Brussels sprouts but I still don't understand the bagging thing.

IMG_2184.jpeg

Yesterday was my Mom's "Beautification Day".
I take her to the Beauty Parlor for a wash&style every 2 weeks or so and mostly out for lunch afterwards.
DH tagged along this time.
IMG_3878.JPG

Mom's house-made Chicken Sausage Sandwich, that's a half order by the by, but she ate it ALL!!
She ate one of those peppers on the side, I wish I took a picture of her face :laugh: she was all puckered up ... "How's that pepper Mom?"
She finally responded with, "MAN! That's sour AND spicy, here, son in law eat this..."
That was a no-go from DH :roflmao:
IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

DH had his usual, small house salad and a 10 inch cheese pizza ... he couldn't finish.
IMG_3880.JPG

I saved up all of my carbohydrate allowance for the day just so that I could eat this ☝️ Chicken Piccata, can ya see all of that gorgeous garlic?
AH YUM!
I couldn't finish my meal either, but I did finish it later in the evening - it came with a basket full of lovely Garlic Bread, Mom & Dh ate that.

Dinner for us two
IMG_3888.JPG

IP Baby Back (🎶🎵 I want my baby back-baby back-baby back ribs. 🎶🎵)
with White Corn Kernels (frozen) and Baked Beans (from a can)
It seemed fussy, but really not.
I did an entire rack, so there's plenty leftovers for the deep freeze. 💯

About five kilos of Kung Pao Chicken with the nuts floating because I won’t be thickening it properly until I’m serving it. Now vacuum sealed in the freezer ready for my brother and sister in laws stay 👍
IMG_2598.jpeg

Cooked some (but not enough) peppers separately so I can see how they freeze and reheat before committing them to the dish!
IMG_2603.jpeg

And about three litres of concentrated Korma sauce (without any protein) as per @karadekoolaid’s suggestion for the ‘cooking for large numbers’ get ahead question I posed a while ago. I’ll add water or stock as needed when it’s reheated 👍
IMG_2607.jpeg

Today’s cooking took a lot longer than anticipated. The (kind of) Korma recipe I’ve made many times before today just kept persisting in being bland . Weird isn’t it how you can cook something many many times and then the ingredients you have just say NOOOO 😂
Had to amend it multiple times before finishing.
I think it turned out ok in the end though because I couldn’t stop eating it 😬😆

Had to amend it multiple times before finishing.
Frequently, a recipe you've made for 4-6 people is difficult to translate into 30 portions. All sorts of things come into the picture: how much spice (and you look at "6 tablespoons of cinnamon"and think "it's WAAAAYYY too much!") , how much salt, how much liquid, how much meat, how much onion/ginger/garlic, etc. It's tricky. If the spicing seems bland, then you need to add more, and sometimes that means more chile powder. Don't be afraid of it. Salt makes a huge amount of difference, but do it little by little. The onion/ginger/garlic ratio is often surprising - two onions for 6 people, 10 onions for 30.
However, there's a little tip I can give you: garam masala. It will resolve a whole host of problems and make the Korma taste properly Indian, without the heat.

Frequently, a recipe you've made for 4-6 people is difficult to translate into 30 portions. All sorts of things come into the picture: how much spice (and you look at "6 tablespoons of cinnamon"and think "it's WAAAAYYY too much!") , how much salt, how much liquid, how much meat, how much onion/ginger/garlic, etc. It's tricky. If the spicing seems bland, then you need to add more, and sometimes that means more chile powder. Don't be afraid of it. Salt makes a huge amount of difference, but do it little by little. The onion/ginger/garlic ratio is often surprising - two onions for 6 people, 10 onions for 30.
However, there's a little tip I can give you: garam masala. It will resolve a whole host of problems and make the Korma taste properly Indian, without the heat.

Well funnily enough I was thinking about exactly that before I started cooking today, about how many of us here learnt the hard way that scaling up a recipe doesn’t mean doubling or tripling (for example) all the ingredients because they don’t behave the same way in those quantities.

Here’s why it surprised me - I was quadrupling the recipe and knew from experience of scaling this up before I needed to bump up the garlic and ginger and certainly didn’t need 4 tablespoons of ground coriander.

I looked at the required 300mls of stock or water and knew that at x4 the 1200mls of water was waaaay too much so decided to add a bit at a time. I had to stop at 150mls!

That is over a litre short so it shouldn’t have been bland, but it was.

Thanks for the garam masala tip, I didn’t know that.
I just increased various ingredients in small increments until I got it where it needed to be, which of course requires a bit of time for the spices to cook out after each addition and really started to try my patience! The garam masala would have been a much faster fix!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom