What did you cook or eat today (February 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US, we also say Spring Onions and Coriander, too.
It's interesting how things can vary from region to region in our big ole' country. I grew up in Florida and they were called scallions, and here in Ohio the same. Never heard anyone refer to spring onions until I joined the forum.

Edited to add that TastyReuben pointed out green onions. Yes of course I have heard that as well, in fact when I buy them at the grocery store that's what they are called. Most of my family and friends who cook say scallions, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
Because the original eggplant from S.E.Asia looks what you'd think a eggplant WOULD look like (long before domestication and selective breeding):
View attachment 56786
That's so awesome, thank you for the explanation. Do you have any idea how big those things are and if they taste like regular eggplant?

Reactions: mjd
Okay, I stand corrected. I knew that there were green squash (gourds in my neck of the woods). The acorn squash I have seen vary from a light yellow to a deeper orangy yellow. I have never seen yellow zucchini before, interesting. I don't care for any sweeter squashes (tastes too much like cooked carrots, yams, or sweet potatoes which I don't like) but I like zucchini and summer squash. I also don't like the larger ones, too woody.

I can sometimes get them (yellow courgettes/zucchini) and its reminded me of a recipe I haven't posted featuring them. I'll seek it out tomorrow... a bit of sunshine on the plate.

I wonder why we call it an eggplant anyway.

There is a white one - maybe that is why.

1612648648943.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom