What did you cook or eat today (February 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had a go at making my first homemade pasta and decided on ravioli (which was probably mistake #1). I don’t have a pasta maker and rolled the dough by hand with a rolling pin. One hour of sweating and making a giant floury mess later, I ended up with these babies:

View attachment 56849

They were a bit coarse to be honest and the skins were too thick but I suppose they tasted OK.. I had two fillings - spinach/ricotta and Bolognese. Served with some tomato sauce and sour cream on the side:

View attachment 56851

I won’t be winning any awards for that, but sort of glad I went and did it. Not sure how often I will do it though as I found it very laborious and not particularly relaxing (there was quite a bit of swearing). I used this gizmo which I thought would be so easy to use; I was wrong:
I have a mold, but quit using it. Picked up a levered scoop and it's much easier. A pasta machine also makes it so much easier versus rolling out by hand. As Morning Glory wrote, it's a lot easier starting out with a noodle type pasta rather than a filled one. You'll be able to get a feel for the dough plus it's a lot easier to make.

I have a big ole (Texas measurement) ham bone I moved from the freezer to the fridge, and plan to use tomorrow, while Patrick Mahomes hopefully gives his lordship tom brady a spanking. Oh, back to the topic, ham and bean soup.

CD

I was talking to my niece yesterday, and she asked, "What kinds of fun things are you making for the Super Bowl?"

My response was, "I don't know...when is it?" :laugh:

I did remember I had some smoked sausages and pre-made pierogis (potato & cheese) in the freezer, and I whipped up some cherry-chocolate cupcakes, so that's what we're having.

Not sure how often I will do it though as I found it very laborious and not particularly relaxing (there was quite a bit of swearing).

We both had exactly the same experience making ravioli! :laugh:

I have a mold, but quit using it. Picked up a levered scoop and it's much easier. A pasta machine also makes it so much easier versus rolling out by hand. As Morning Glory wrote, it's a lot easier starting out with a noodle type pasta rather than a filled one. You'll be able to get a feel for the dough plus it's a lot easier to make.

When you say 'scoop' do you mean like an ice-cream scoop and you just put balls of filling on the flat sheet then cover/cut?

Turkey wings with honey and orange juice
147029759_180997217115054_3986744472950728976_n.jpg

When you say 'scoop' do you mean like an ice-cream scoop and you just put balls of filling on the flat sheet then cover/cut?
Yes. I've got several sizes, from just under a tablespoon up to over 1/8 cup that we use for ravioli filling, cookies, meatballs, etc. They have a little lever on the side that you press to pop the filling out.

You just have to be a bit careful when covering and fit the top pasta sheet around the mound of filling trying to not trap any air, as the air will expand and pop the ravioli when cooking. You'll always get some air, but you want to minimize it as much as possible. More of an explanation here and here .

Last edited:
Here I am 🙋🏻‍♀️
I love this! The only thing I wouldn’t have put is the basil-flavoured béchamel, but oh well, I’m sure I would have wolfed it down anyway 😅
It may sometimes appear that my tastes are not very adventurous, but my brother is even worse.

I texted him a pic of my lasagna and he texted back:

"Squash lasagna??? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???!!!"

:laugh:

It may sometimes appear that my tastes are not very adventurous, but my brother is even worse.

I texted him a pic of my lasagna and he texted back:

"Squash lasagna??? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???!!!"

:laugh:

You would not have wanted to eat here last night. I went all out to challenge boundaries, and I made a FIlipino tripe kare kare dish with rice, alongside with I had a savory muffin which in part used cricket flour. (The latter is posted. The other - upcoming in a while.)

You would not have wanted to eat here last night. I went all out to challenge boundaries, and I made a FIlipino tripe kare kare dish with rice, alongside with I had a savory muffin which in part used cricket flour. (The latter is posted. The other - upcoming in a while.)
This might be a little inappropriate, but when I told him it was a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, his response to that was:

"I looked her up. All those teeth and t!ts clouded your judgment, baby brother!" :laugh:

I don't know how well GDL is known internationally, but she's as famous for her mile-wide smile and plunging necklines as she is for her cooking.

With Lunar New Year fast approaching, my housemates, H and P, had me up all night while they and their guests practiced playing and singing songs. They'll do more rehearsal tonight, stretching past midnight.

So, today, I did something easy in the microwave, another pair of Breaded Chicken Sandwiches, this time with Shredded Cheese, instead of Swiss, Spinach, Onion, Tomato, Stone Ground Mustard and Horse Radish.

full.png

You've all seen the photo before. It's no work Sunday for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom