What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sourdough with various toppings
20240210_123413.jpg

Sore throat therapy
20240210_135447.jpg

Dried shiitake mushroom snack
20240210_152419.jpg

Very tasty

What ingredients make it Cantonese?

It's a mini-version of this Cantonese Roast Duck recipe.

I simplified it into two steps - the first is a dry rub on the underside with Five Spice and ginger powder then a sit in the fridge for an hour. For the second, I combine the liquid marinade from the recipe with maltose to make the glaze which I rub over the skin side of the chicken. So that consists of a some whole spices fried briefly in oil (ginger, garlic, star anise, bay, cinnamon, dried orange peel) then mixed with some other pantry ingredients (Hoisin, Chi Hou, Fermented bean curd, black bean sauce, shaoxing). That sits in the fridge for an hour then I blast it skin down at 230C for 10 mins, then turn it over, another 10 mins, then 4 minutes at full blast grill/broil. A short rest then carve. It definitely has the tastes of Chinatown and was a big hit!

(BTW it's Chinese New Year celebrations round here, so I made this for our reunion dinner which I was hosting this year).

It's a mini-version of this Cantonese Roast Duck recipe.

I simplified it into two steps - the first is a dry rub on the underside with Five Spice and ginger powder then a sit in the fridge for an hour. For the second, I combine the liquid marinade from the recipe with maltose to make the glaze which I rub over the skin side of the chicken. So that consists of a some whole spices fried briefly in oil (ginger, garlic, star anise, bay, cinnamon, dried orange peel) then mixed with some other pantry ingredients (Hoisin, Chi Hou, Fermented bean curd, black bean sauce, shaoxing). That sits in the fridge for an hour then I blast it skin down at 230C for 10 mins, then turn it over, another 10 mins, then 4 minutes at full blast grill/broil. A short rest then carve. It definitely has the tastes of Chinatown and was a big hit!

(BTW it's Chinese New Year celebrations round here, so I made this for our reunion dinner which I was hosting this year).
Yum.
There's a lot of ingredients there but it looks delicious and well worth the effort.

Avocado and Prawns on toast.
Made up the butter flavouring for the prawns as I went, ended up with garlic, chinese five spice, fish sauce (cos prawns are often not prawny enough) and sesame oil. Nice I'd do it again.
One gluten free version and the others just 'mega thick' white lightly toasted.

IMG_1998.jpeg

IMG_2002.jpeg

Yesterday's egg bites.
Very moreish.
The dairy free cheeses did an absolutely sterling job. They were identical in their gooey joy to the dairy ones. I thought the dairy free cream cheese wouldn't be able to replicate the effect of the cottage cheese it was replacing but it did and the Cheddarton has that whole funky feet cheese thing going on really well, that's something that is often sadly lacking in dairy free cheeses.
Very happy.

IMG_1993.jpeg

Lessons learnt-
Whisking the eggs to a glorious air bubbled point is.. pointless because the pressure cooker forces the air out and they turn out a lot, lot smaller once the airs gone.

There's no need to make two versions for the dairy eaters and the non dairy eaters. The dairy free version is delicious in it's own right.

I used too much filling (finnebrogue 'frankfurters' and spring onion) in with the cheese. It's better with a small amount of that stuff and more cheddarton.

They reheat really easily in 30 seconds in the microwave without detriment to the ingredients (that was a surprise) so this could be a good cook ahead breakfast. Maybe with some haggis for meat eaters?

Flavouring the egg with garlic powder and paprika was worthwhile.

Egg bite moulds are like all miniature things inescapably cute 😊 (£3.99 each from The Range). Can't wait to stick them back in the pressure cooker for mini cheesecakes or oat bites.

Assembling in the correct order matters- some egg in the mould, then the cheese, then top up with egg, keeping the cheese in the middle stops it running away when they're turned out and gives that gooey surprise centre.

Eating 6 egg bites does make you feel sick 😂

My chili's are producing, so I made sambal oelek.
And I made a spicy eggplant dish,
Sambal goreng terong. Eggplants from the garden. And then this afternoon I harvested a similar amount of chili's. Maybe another sambal making day tomorrow, brandal or badjak.

I made a big batch of hummous and enjoyed it, dipping sourdough bread in it. Accompanied by an ice cold lager :wink:
I am boiling garbanzo beans right now for just that purpose. I making a big batch of it and I bought a bunch of pita bread (I know, how lame that I am not making my own). Over here in the US tomorrow night is the big Superbowl American football game as many people might know. We are going over to our nephew's house to watch it so I will take some hummus and also leave some here for snacking throughout the week. I found a really good recipe online and it's really the best recipe I have ever found to make hummus. It's always funny when a recipe states "The best..." of whatever food, and most of the time it's not! This one actually lives up to the title! Although, badjak, I am sure yours is wonderful, and most likely you can get better tahini than I can here...

The Best Hummus

Edited to add that I use roasted garlic instead of regular garlic so it's not as intense, but I use plenty of it so that it definitely has a great garlicky flavor!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom