What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
91798035-0129-4154-AB38-875CF1C2AB03.jpeg

While waiting for DH at yet another doctors appointment I was staving!!!
Wendy’s was across the way.

I remove the La Choy soy sauce label and fill with red wine vinegar, so I can squirt a few shots instead of the usual vinegar pour spout.
I have a lot of respect for you and Puggles, and all others who repurpose and reuse. I do that myself when I can. For some mysterious reason our waste management company that picks up our refuse and recycling will no longer recycle glass. I honestly don't know how much plastic that they pick up gets recycled anymore either since China quit buying it awhile back.

Last meal for January 2023 for us two

IMG_2544.JPG

Local-Style Beef Stew & Rice,
ONO (that's Hawaiian for delicious) !!!
I got 12 servings out of that big ole' pot that I put on a coupla days ago and let "marry" in the `fridge.
I found a "Manager's Special" on Chuck Roast, $3.49/pound and broke it down, along with Carrots, Onions, Celery, canned Tomatoes, Russet Potatoes and Beef Stock. I'll take 2 servings over to Mom, do a "Door Dash" to two of my Neighborhood Gal Pals and then the rest of it goes into the deep freeze for later.
I received the highest of compliments from DH, he said that this was WAYYYYY better than the Beef Stew his Mom made, I put loads of "goodies in it" 😊
Me, I like the Gravy & Rice brah!!!

We got a Jersey Mike's acoupla towns up from us, went over after I thought that they'd had enough time shake it out, but, meh, not so much. Ever time we go by there I ask DH, "would you ever want to try this place again?"
I get a sound, "NO!"
And yes, sure do miss living in Southern AZ where I could drive about an hour + away and get fresh-frozen Amoroso Rolls.
For those that are not familiar, my husband is from just outside of Philadelphia, he's American-Italian.

I was born 40 miles from Philadelphia. And it is called Pork Roll. :D

CD

I have a lot of respect for you and Puggles, and all others who repurpose and reuse. I do that myself when I can. For some mysterious reason our waste management company that picks up our refuse and recycling will no longer recycle glass. I honestly don't know how much plastic that they pick up gets recycled anymore either since China quit buying it awhile back.
My d.i.l works for 5r solutions. They recycle glass. Tons and tons of glass. Think he had a website. I drive casual relocating trucks. Inter island. It's a good earner.!!

Russ

Only 1 meal today. Had to go out at 2 o clock. Rang through to my fave Chinese shop. 1 lemon chicken. Got home and had it. Filled me and my cravings for lemon chicken.

Russ

My d.i.l works for 5r solutions. They recycle glass. Tons and tons of glass. Think he had a website. I drive casual relocating trucks. Inter island. It's a good earner.!!

Russ

Glass is still recycled here, but most plastic ends up in a landfill. It's pretty much glass and aluminum cans that get recycled here. The city also recycles electronics (old smartphones and computer stuff), but you have to make an appointment to drop them off at a special recycling center. Home Depot, Lowe's and Best Buy will take in old rechargeable batteries and printer ink cartridges for recycling at no charge.

CD

We have wheelie bins . Yellow: recycle glass plastic
Green: grass food scraps all compostable
And red:
anything except paint, goes to landfill.

Russ

We have wheelie bins . Yellow: recycle glass plastic
Green: grass food scraps all compostable
And red:
anything except paint, goes to landfill.

Russ

We have them, too. We don't all them weelie bins, but they are the same. Special trucks pick them up mechanically and dump them. We have a black one for garbage and a blue on for recyclables. Yard waste goes in special paper bags. That gets turned into mulch and compost that is sold to the public.

CD

We had beef pot roast for our last January meal, beef, carrots, onions, parsnips for Craig, mushrooms and potatoes. I throw a few smashed garlic cloves when i first start the meat, and i cheat and use a beef stew flavoring mix to flavor my half and half beef stock and water cooking liquid.

I can't get that here - I was looking for it because it's an ingredient in Commander's Palace Gumbo - how different would you say it is from Tabasco? (which is what I ended up using.)

[EDIT] btw resident gumbo experts ElizabethB caseydog The Late Night Gourmet (or anyone else for that matter) how would you rate that recipe? I ate at that restaurant nearly 20 years ago - I thought the resultant dish was good but I half followed what was at the link above and half from a YouTube video of the exec chef making it (note in the recipe linked there seems to be an omission of Creole seasoning or anything that would make that taste).

Like someone else wrote, I prefer Crystal over Tobasco because it is simply a more pleasant taste to me, not as spicy and not as much vinegar.

I looked at the recipe. I would never cook the garlic by itself and until it's browned, it's going to add a bitter taste.

Cooking the shrimp for an hour and 40 minutes? Noooooo! They are going to be horrendously overcooked, as well as the rest of the seafood. Paying for lump crab meat and then cooking for half an hour... plus the oysters. Unless they are huge oysters, like quahogs, I might cook them for 5 minutes, even less if they are little necks.

CookingBites had a gumbo cook along a while back. You might take a look at some of the recipes and discussion.

The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

Like someone else wrote, I prefer Crystal over Tobasco because it is simply a more pleasant taste to me, not as spicy and not as much vinegar.

I looked at the recipe. I would never cook the garlic by itself and until it's browned, it's going to add a bitter taste.

Cooking the shrimp for an hour and 40 minutes? Noooooo! They are going to be horrendously overcooked, as well as the rest of the seafood. Paying for lump crab meat and then cooking for half an hour... plus the oysters. Unless they are huge oysters, like quahogs, I might cook them for 5 minutes, even less if they are little necks.

CookingBites had a gumbo cook along a while back. You might take a look at some of the recipes and discussion.

The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo
I was texting with my chef friend a bit ago and he said the same thing. He says that written recipe is not the way they make it there. I sent him the YouTube video a few minutes ago but I think he's working so might take him a bit to view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom