What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was pan-fried flank steak, steamed cauliflower, and microwave potato (butter, & sour cream).

View attachment 95694
East Coast Style Hoagie.
I had never heard of nor eaten one until I met my husband.
My SIL taught me how to do it.
Gosh, I haven't made these in a long time.
We had an early morning appointment in town and I needed a few things at the market; the thought struck me to buy the makings for our lunch.
I didn't have potato chips so it was corn chips and diet cola to round the meal out.
DELICIOUS!!!

Jersey Mike's makes a pretty decent Hoagie. But, the toughest part of making a Phily style hoagie is the bread. Amaroso's hoagie rolls.

CD

Are you going to post the recipe?
That looks/sounds interesting.

Okay mom, I'll get around to it. I have to come up with a recipe, because I was flying by the seat of my pants, as usual... and I didn't take notes. The recipe will be "approximate. " You have to mix and taste until you like it. :laugh:

CD

I know what you mean. I've ended up putting a whole fresh jalapeño on food before and it was like nothing and other times I've died and caught on fire just from prepping them.

Jalapeños are like Russian Roulette. I grow them, and sometimes they are barely hotter than a bell pepper, while at other times, they hurt... a lot. I have some pickled in the fridge right now that are scorchers

CD

Last edited:
This is the video of the Exec chef making it, so between the written recipe and this it wasn't too hard. I noted that it does not seem to use Filé powder (the Okra takes its place?).

Yeah, file and okra do basically the same thing. They are both ingredients that people either like, or don't like. I use okra in my gumbo, but I put it in earlier than most recipes all for. That cooks off the "slime" that okra haters don't like.

CD

Jersey Mike's makes a pretty decent Hoagie. But, the toughest part of making a Phily style hoagie is the bread. Amaroso's hoagie rolls.

CD
We got a Jersey Mike's acoupla towns up from us, went over after I thought that they'd had enough time shake it out, but, meh, not so much. Ever time we go by there I ask DH, "would you ever want to try this place again?"
I get a sound, "NO!"
And yes, sure do miss living in Southern AZ where I could drive about an hour + away and get fresh-frozen Amoroso Rolls.
For those that are not familiar, my husband is from just outside of Philadelphia, he's American-Italian.

Last edited:
GEEZ!
I just went to the Amoroso website, you gotta order by the case, 60 7" rolls/case $35.49 + s&h $19.69 = $55.18
I don't think I have enough freezer space for that ...

Yeah, I looked into buying some, and it was way too expensive just for a sandwich.

CD

View attachment 95694
East Coast Style Hoagie.
I had never heard of nor eaten one until I met my husband.
My SIL taught me how to do it.
Gosh, I haven't made these in a long time.
We had an early morning appointment in town and I needed a few things at the market; the thought struck me to buy the makings for our lunch.
I didn't have potato chips so it was corn chips and diet cola to round the meal out.
DELICIOUS!!!
Since moving to Northern Arizona, I've been using Bolillo for hoagies and Bahn Mi, it'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom