What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my kind of baker!

My mom was one who made everything from scratch, and her baked goods were like no other. I remember as a young child in the 60s and early 70s she would bake her famous German Chocolate cake from scratch, sifting the flour, double pan for melting the chocolate bars, etc. And the from scratch frosting! It took her about 4 hours to make that cake and it was amazing. She also made a chocolate Amaretto cheesecake that was indescribably delicious. Mom could bake. I am not that great, but then again, I don't really have a sweet tooth and neither does my husband.

I do love a great cookie now and then, however! :)

Raspberry ripple ice cream - the raspberries are from the garden.

Isn't it a good feeling picking your own raspberries. I have fruit in the freezer, do you have the recipe. My first attempt at ice cream was a dismal failure!!

Russ
Our summer fruiting raspberries produce very small fruit, so picking is a bit of a time consuming.

Ice cream is very easy. Beat two egg yolks with 50g of castor sugar and scrapings from a vanilla pod. In a saucepan, bring to the boil 150ml each of milk and cream. Stir into the egg/sugar mix, and return to the heat. Heat until it thickens, then leave to cool. When cool, pop it into an ice cream maker for 40 mins. The raspberries were cooked down with a little sugar then sieved and cooled. Fold into the ice cream at the end.

Hello lovely ones!
I’ve been MIA again. Apologies.

Many delicious meals in here I see and an holiday to Italy in the early planning stage.

Exciting.

Don’t take it lightly. My Aussie based food forum travel together (We’ve been to Melbourne twice as a group & Cairns once + Sydney more times than I can count) & stay in each other’s homes. It started out as a bunch of friends on a huge public website with a log in forum and developed from there. These days the big forum is gone (just like the bloody J.O forum) but a couple of dozen of us remain in contact and last year I flew to the UK with a fellow forum member and we toured together for a month. True.

Anyway. Cooking. I’ve been overrun with house guests due to death & drama so I spent the weekend trying to get ahead.

I made 3 different south East Asian coconut cream based curries on Saturday.
Beef short Rib Rendang
Penang chicken
Beef massaman with potato, peas + carrots

These made dinner for 6 plus several containers stashed in the freezer and 6 more “ready meals” to stick in the fridge so no one went hungry while I’m away for work.

Sunday I made 3 x pasta bakes & a HUGE batch of chicken tikka masala.

CTM will be tomorrow’s dinner as I’m heading home after work so I can attend the funeral Wednesday.

I’ve put the boys in charge of burgers for Wednesday night as comfort food will be needed.

There you go. I disappear then post a novel.

Don’t take it lightly. My Aussie based food forum travel together (We’ve been to Melbourne twice as a group & Cairns once + Sydney more times than I can count) & stay in each other’s homes. It started out as a bunch of friends on a huge public website with a log in forum and developed from there. These days the big forum is gone (just like the bloody J.O forum) but a couple of dozen of us remain in contact and last year I flew to the UK with a fellow forum member and we toured together for a month. True.

That's brilliant - there have been a few meet ups on this forum but nothing like that. Might be a while before you can travel to Italy though - not sure what the situation is re holiday travel from AUS at the moment.

Our summer fruiting raspberries produce very small fruit, so picking is a bit of a time consuming.

Ice cream is very easy. Beat two egg yolks with 50g of castor sugar and scrapings from a vanilla pod. In a saucepan, bring to the boil 150ml each of milk and cream. Stir into the egg/sugar mix, and return to the heat. Heat until it thickens, then leave to cool. When cool, pop it into an ice cream maker for 40 mins. The raspberries were cooked down with a little sugar then sieved and cooled. Fold into the ice cream at the end.

Thank you so much, I'll report back. Our raspberries are a mixture, most are half the size of the big ones that I remember we had as kids. I make jam and coulis. This season will,be our best so far as its our new canes second year.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom