What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait--your sister-in-law's husband would be your brother...so you find your brother annoying? And he is a terrible cook? I have one brother I get along with well and the other is annoying, so I understand that completely.

Wait--your sister-in-law's husband would be your brother...so you find your brother annoying? And he is a terrible cook? I have one brother I get along with well and the other is annoying, so I understand that completely.

No, he was a brother in law. My SIL was my wife's sister, making her husband a BIL. Their kids were my nieces.

His father was a complete a$$hat, so at least my BIL was a nice guy. He just had an insatiable need to do things better than me. He had a good career going, and plenty of things he did well, so I never understood why he couldn't just admit to himself that I was better at something.

CD

That's a Weber gas grill (pretty darn sure). Small, so maybe a Spirit? Looks small for a Genesis. Cast iron grates -- I hope you keep them inside when not in use. They will surface rust outside.

Weber grills last forever, and getting parts for a 20-year old Weber is actually pretty easy. Their customer service is awesome.

CD
You got it in one - two-burner Weber Spirit, I bought it on the recommendation of America's Test Kitchen and have been very happy with it.

Over the 30 years or so of owning grills, I've had about 15; about half propane and half charcoal. This has been, by far, my favorite grill and my most durable (ok, there's not much to go wrong on a kettle grill).

This is its fifth year, and this year, the igniter quit. Usually, that happens after the first year. I'll probably donate it to a family member at the beginning of grilling season 2021 and buy another one then. I'm too lazy to do the refurb on it.

...and we all have a BIL like that! :)

Cornmeal crusted oysters with horsradish cream sauce, and corn and tomato relish.
full.jpg

You got it in one - two-burner Weber Spirit, I bought it on the recommendation of America's Test Kitchen and have been very happy with it.

Over the 30 years or so of owning grills, I've had about 15; about half propane and half charcoal. This has been, by far, my favorite grill and my most durable (ok, there's not much to go wrong on a kettle grill).

This is its fifth year, and this year, the igniter quit. Usually, that happens after the first year. I'll probably donate it to a family member at the beginning of grilling season 2021 and buy another one then. I'm too lazy to do the refurb on it.

...and we all have a BIL like that! :)

Call Weber customer service, you'll have a new igniter within days (maybe more with Covid-19 and all).

The Spirit is Weber's entry level gas grill. Still good, but made mostly in China. The Genesis is American made, and my Genesis is a 2001 model. My dad has a 1999 Genesis. My oldest Kettle is a 1995 (I have two -- got a good deal on a barely used on at a garage sale).

If I need a part, I call Weber customer service, and give them my name, and they know what grills I own. I tell them the part I need, and I have it in less than a week. The price is very reasonable, too.

A new Genesis will set you back a minimum of about 700 bucks, but you can find great deals on not very old used ones. Keep in mind, even if you buy new, you are buying a grill for the next twenty-plus years. All the cheap ones are good for, maybe, three years.

CD

Call Weber customer service, you'll have a new igniter within days (maybe more with Covid-19 and all).
Yeah, but then I've got to take the old one out and put the new one in. :headshake: I went as far as swapping out the battery on this one, and when that didn't fix it, I got some long grill matches for lighting it. No more than I use it, that'll see me through (although I'm off to a good start, four times so far and again this weekend).

Today's menu:

1)breakfast - 3 soft boiled eggs from my own chickens, topped with a bare bit of sea salt.
2) Second breakfast: about 2 ounces of salmon pan fried with half a red bell pepper and around 5 or 7 stalks asparagus with the tough bottoms broken off, seasoned with smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground pepper. I seared the little bit of skin crispy (this was salmon leftover from yesterday, that I decided not to cook then), and cooked the salmon meat itself medium rare.
3) lunch: open face toasted Muenster cheese melt on a slice of multigrain country bread, also topped with savoy cabbage, liverwurst, and hot capicola slices. [The cheese was actually laid over the bread, cabbage and liverwurst layers, and was then topped with the capicola.]
4) dinner - simmered baby artichokes, with a butter - lemon garlic dip. This is cooking right now.

Sorry, no photos today...

I love subway, we had a drive through one 5 mins away. Only lasted 6 months, it's gone now. I miss it.it was So handy.

Subway is to sub sandwiches what McDonalds is to burgers. It will do in a hurry, but not something I'd choose if I had a choice. The best chain sub-sandwich shop I have found is Jersey Mike's. I know they are nationwide in the US, but don't know beyond that. I'm not even sure how much of the US they cover.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom