What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken Marsala with linguini. I doubled the sauce recipe as last time we didn't have enough. The chicken gets pan sauteed then covered with a slice of motz, some rinsed capers and a filet of anchovy which is drained and patted dry.

36788-albums1093-picture8330.jpg

moussaka plated.jpg

Greek vegetarian moussaka with lentils, chickpeas and mushrooms to replace the meat. Instead of a béchamel, this one uses Pecorino Romano, Greek yogurt, nutmeg as a topping. With extra oregano. This is Brunch.

thigh-potato-tomato-served-.jpg

Not sure if this is "dunch" or "linner". but it is my second meal. One LARGE bone in skin on chicken thigh, cooked with a a small scalloped potato, and a plum tomato and juices that came from extra canned tomato from the previous dish. The potato gets a little salt and ground nutmeg, they all get a little ground pepper, and the thigh gets a little Tabasco plus the lemon juice squeezed from the lemon slice you see in the first photo.

It's a two-meal day.

View attachment 42729

Greek vegetarian moussaka with lentils, chickpeas and mushrooms to replace the meat. Instead of a béchamel, this one uses Pecorino Romano, Greek yogurt, nutmeg as a topping. With extra oregano. This is Brunch.

View attachment 42731

Not sure if this is "dunch" or "linner". but it is my second meal. One LARGE bone in skin on chicken thigh, cooked with a a small scalloped potato, and a plum tomato and juices that came from extra canned tomato from the previous dish. The potato gets a little salt and ground nutmeg, they all get a little ground pepper, and the thigh gets a little Tabasco plus the lemon juice squeezed from the lemon slice you see in the first photo.

It's a two-meal day.

Good to see you showing some thigh... um, chicken thigh. I much prefer chicken thigh to chicken breast. So much better flavor. Not as healthy as breast, but not unhealthy by any standards.

CD

Beef Stroganoff with rice. I know I am currently often repeating old favorites, but the situation here at home is still draining. In september eldest stepson will be going to an inbound care facility for 10 weeks so it should be better then.
View attachment 42733

Beef Stroganoff is good comfort food! :okay:

CD

Not the prettiest but who cares? I certainly didn’t!!

Ugly food often tastes great!

I will probably never get used to the idea of baked beans with breakfast. But, sausage, chips and eggs work for me. :okay:

However, why do so many Brits seem to settle for one egg. At least what I've seen on this forum. A typical egg breakfast for me is three eggs (usually scrambled), sausage and/or bacon, and some kind of potatoes.

CD

However, why do so many Brits seem to settle for one egg. At least what I've seen on this forum. A typical egg breakfast for me is three eggs (usually scrambled), sausage and/or bacon, and some kind of potatoes.

I think of it like this with my UK brain: one fried/poached egg is fine for one person as part of a breakfast. Two eggs are good for scrambled eggs for one. Three eggs are a main meal offering in the form of an omelette.

In general, it seems to me that people in the US eat a lot more on their plate than in the UK. That is a generalisation of course, but from looking at US cooking shows it seems to be the case.

I think of it like this with my UK brain: one fried/poached egg is fine for one person as part of a breakfast. Two eggs are good for scrambled eggs for one. Three eggs are a main meal offering in the form of an omelette.

In general, it seems to me that people in the US eat a lot more on their plate than in the UK. That is a generalisation of course, but from looking at US cooking shows it seems to be the case.

It is a generalization, but it has validity, overall. I don't tend to eat big portions of most foods But, there are a few -- like a big Merican country breakfast, and chicken-fried steak with mashed potatoes, fried okra and good white gravy. Definitely not an everyday meal -- maybe every other month.

CD

A typical egg breakfast for me is three eggs (usually scrambled), sausage and/or bacon, and some kind of potatoes.
Don't ask me to explain it, but for whatever reason, for me, it's always one fried or boiled egg, and two for scrambled or an omelette.

I also like a big cooked breakfast on the weekends, though, so that's what I do.

I tried out a disposable aluminum pan for a change. I'd been using a glass pan (which pie recipe after pie recipe recommends), but the bottom was always doughy. The aluminum pan produced a much, much better bottom, so I'll be buying a metal pie tin soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom