What did you cook or eat today (June 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kept it easy today. Spaghetti aglio, olio e peperonico with some grated parmesan
283609829_4832764383516753_8267401934567447309_n.jpg

I've been experimenting with yet MORE Indian street food. "Frankie Rolls" or "Kathi Rolls", depending if you're in Mumbai or in Kolkata are basically vegetarian "hot dogs". A chapatti (similar to a burrito) slathered with coriander/mint chutney, diced red onions, pickled green chiles (or, so my mate caseydog doesn't cringe, "mirch", in Hindi) :D
The "sausage" in the middle is made with mashed potato, ginger, garlic and spices.
First "sausage" - just straight mashed potato in the roll with pickled jalapeños, onion and coriander/mint chutney.
Second "sausage" - added some finely sliced cabbage.
Third "sausage" - rolled the "sausage" in a chickpea flour batter before frying, added cabbage and grated carrot.
I used this recipe: Frankie rolls
Conclusion. The first offering was sort of bland. Hot as hell, but bland, because it tasted like a mashed potato burrito.
The second was better, because it had some texture to it, with the crunchy cabbage. The third ended up with a crispy coating, and more texture from the veg. Not sure how I can make the initial "bite" more exciting.

Completely overpriced, unspectacular meal out tonight, at a local cidery - cider was very good, but everything else…meh.

Pulled pork sandwich with little tubs of commercial sauce, a small serving of brisket nachos (served cold!), and a flight of four ciders and a beer was $50. No sides, and everything served in paper boats with plastic utensils, like fair food.

Cider was good, though. MrsT had their standard, and another one made with ginger and lemongrass, a peach one, and a cherry one.

I haven’t been able to find it in many years, but I would choose Woodpecker Premium Hard Cider, English, over all but a few champagnes. Very faint apple taste, just slightly sweet, pale golden color and very fine bubbles. Just looking at it, you'd think it was a good quality champagne.

There's a whole lot of cider in the UK right, now, including artesan offerings, "gourmet" offerings, etc.
I tried some last year at some Farmer's Markets. After about 45 years without tasting it, it was hard to decide what was good or not. Ignorance is bliss.

I haven’t been able to find it in many years, but I would choose Woodpecker Premium Hard Cider, English, over all but a few champagnes. Very faint apple taste, just slightly sweet, pale golden color and very fine bubbles. Just looking at it, you'd think it was a good quality champagne.

My ex-wife liked Woodpecker ciders, apple and pear.

CD

I haven’t been able to find it in many years, but I would choose Woodpecker Premium Hard Cider, English, over all but a few champagnes.
There’s one place here I used to be able to get that, but I haven’t checked in quite a while. I’m pretty sure Woodpecker was the first cider we ever had, and yes, it’s very good.

So what have I cooked/eaten today? So far, three slices of homemade bread with mango chutney and cheese. In 30 minutes, however, I'm going to try even more Indian Street Food and work out when we can do an evening "event" at the microbrewery.

I had some brioche buns in the frig that were getting a little hard, so I made a buttermilk and vanilla egg wash and gave them a good soak, piercing the smooth side so it would absorb better. I pushed blueberries down inside each bun and cooked them in butter, topping with yogurt, strawberries, and honey. Yummy!

20230603_123816.jpg
20230603_123844.jpg
20230603_123928.jpg

So to the jabbed and marinated beef.
Oh dear, not good.

I’m not really that familiar with this oven. I know it run hot ie cooks faster than you’d expect but I don’t have a thermometer and it has a savage fan that will blast your face off when you open the door so checking it regularly without losing your eyelashes isn’t possible 😂

I wanted it medium so there wasn’t a lot of blood juices mixing in later and timed it for rare to be on the right side of the ovens fierce output.

Nope it was well done. Too well done. Reminded me of my mums awful beef Sunday lunch 40 years ago.

If that was the jabbed marinated version I would dread trying that joint as is.
To rescue the situation as I’m not able to throw food away I sliced it thinly (by Jove that was hard work) and made a Chinese flavoured broth to rehydrate it. This did to an extent make it enjoyable.

I’ve asked Mr SSOAP to bring my oven thermometer over with him in a couple of weeks time.

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

Cut in half. As you can see it’s beyond the pink!

So after dealing with that disappointment I made some coriander chutney and satay sauce to have with my rice paper wraps (‘summer rolls’ to some folk) and felt a whole lot better.
IMG_0311.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

So nice I had to make more 😂

So to the jabbed and marinated beef.
Oh dear, not good.

I’m not really that familiar with this oven. I know it run hot ie cooks faster than you’d expect but I don’t have a thermometer and it has a savage fan that will blast your face off when you open the door so checking it regularly without losing your eyelashes isn’t possible 😂

I wanted it medium so there wasn’t a lot of blood juices mixing in later and timed it for rare to be on the right side of the ovens fierce output.

Nope it was well done. Too well done. Reminded me of my mums awful beef Sunday lunch 40 years ago.

If that was the jabbed marinated version I would dread trying that joint as is.
To rescue the situation as I’m not able to throw food away I sliced it thinly (by Jove that was hard work) and made a Chinese flavoured broth to rehydrate it. This did to an extent make it enjoyable.

I’ve asked Mr SSOAP to bring my oven thermometer over with him in a couple of weeks time.

View attachment 100808
View attachment 100809
Cut in half. As you can see it’s beyond the pink!

So after dealing with that disappointment I made some coriander chutney and satay sauce to have with my rice paper wraps (‘summer rolls’ to some folk) and felt a whole lot better.
View attachment 100812

View attachment 100813
So nice I had to make more 😂
Well I'm glad you were able to salvage and made other food you loved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom