What did you cook or eat today (March 2020)?

Although I'm only a few hours behind rascal I was a bit slow today (no change there then).

I was making pizza tomato base with all the tomatoes I was given by American Bob (although he pronounces them "tomatoes") but that's finished now ready for the freezer. Then it was marinade for chicken for tomorrow. Then it was a chilli beef burger for today although I only took a snap of the base course as after that it looked virtually the same as all the others that I make.

'What's left in the fridge' salad with yoghurt, balsamic, Dijon dressing:

This is the same dough recipe from the last pizza I posted. The other one, I used the same day. This one has done a slow rise in the fridge overnight, and the difference in taste, texture, and chewiness is astounding.

I have another for tomorrow, that'll be a two-day ferment, so we'll see how that is come Monday.

This is the same dough recipe from the last pizza I posted. The other one, I used the same day. This one has done a slow rise in the fridge overnight, and the difference in taste, texture, and chewiness is astounding.

I have another for tomorrow, that'll be a two-day ferment, so we'll see how that is come Monday.

This looks really good. That is exactly how I like a pizza crust.

This looks really good. That is exactly how I like a pizza crust.
Thanks. I do want to be clear: the same-day dough, I used a sachet of active dry yeast. Because this one went in the fridge overnight, I used 1/4 tsp instant (rapid rise) yeast. Other than that, same recipe.

The improved appearance is the first thing to notice, but the flavor and texture of that crust is a world beyond the other one. Bready, chewy...I already want another one!

My first attempt at Pork Pie .... tastes OK, a bit under seasoned (though I did fry off a nugget to taste) a little over cooked (and the pastry dried
out a bit) ... but I'll know better next time.
View attachment 38281

This looks really good despite what you say. I've only made hot water crust a handful of times and it can be a bit tricky. Did you add gelatine to the pie afterwards? I was watching some master pork pie makers on TV yesterday and noted how they poked holes in the tops of the pies before cooking and poured in the gelatine afterwards before allowing to cool.

Thanks. I do want to be clear: the same-day dough, I used a sachet of active dry yeast. Because this one went in the fridge overnight, I used 1/4 tsp instant (rapid rise) yeast. Other than that, same recipe.

So you used less yeast for the overnight rise? Is the flour pre-prepared mix?

Back
Top Bottom