What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was craving tacos. I did yellow corn this time so I could fry and shape them. Perfect chewiness, and the fresh pico is perfect on these.
20240512_192222.jpg
20240512_215900.jpg

Very cheaty sunday lunch - yer I know it's monday but yesterday assembling the picnic tables, benches and BBQ table went quite wrong and took some time to rectify 🤣

IMG_2786.jpeg

This is my small plate the others had double!
The cabbage greens were the worse I've ever tasted, I didn't know it was possible for them to be so bad, so I had to launch a rescue with double cream, mustard seeds, smoked salt and a dollop of caramelised onion chutney. Fortunately it worked.

Chunky onion and red wine gravy was requested so I went bananas and used a whole bottle and half a pack of butter (about 4 1/2 oz) 🤤

And that was more or less the extent of my input 🤣

The roast potatoes were frozen pre-made ones (I've found if you use an absolute heap of oil and generously salt them they roast very well. Although they always take much much longer than the instructions ever state.

The greens were bought prepared.
The ham hocks came prepared in foil trays.
The gluten free yorkshire puds were pre-made (and good!), they did a good job keeping the gravy hot.
The cider apple jelly was one of The Bay Tree's delightful jars.
And not in the pic everyone had a small jug of blue cheese sauce which was just 4 packs of Saint Agur warmed in a pan.

Minimal effort, maximum impact 👍

Last edited:
As per last night, brown basmati rice, a 2 lentil Indian style sauce and the spiced kale.

View attachment 113521

So the greens I was talking about (which were not good and required a lot of input to bring them round), here they are. The packet size has been reduced to 200grams and it's a very empty bag.
Just as well I bought three of them.

This is how the website presents them.
IMG_2794.jpeg

and this is what actually arrived.
IMG_2784.jpeg

Lots of not so lovely brown bits in there too and £7.50 a kilo! What a rip off.

So I checked the other supermarkets and it appears they have followed suit. Waitrose bag size is just 150grams!

Fortunately Morrison's hasn’t caught up with this latest rip off yet and is still selling 300gram bags at £4.30 a kilo.

Still I was irritated and left an honest product review telling them my thoughts on their attempts to hide a whopping price hike by making the bag weight so small.

Very cheaty sunday lunch - yer I know it's monday but yesterday assembling the picnic tables, benches and BBQ table went quite wrong and took some time to rectify 🤣

View attachment 113520
This is my small plate the others had double!
The cabbage greens were the worse I've ever tasted, I didn't know it was possible for them to be so bad, so I had to launch a rescue with double cream, mustard seeds, smoked salt and a dollop of caramelised onion chutney. Fortunately it worked.

Chunky onion and red wine gravy was requested so I went bananas and used a whole bottle and half a pack of butter (about 4 1/2 oz) 🤤

And that was more or less the extent of my input 🤣

The roast potatoes were frozen pre-made ones (I've found if you use an absolute heap of oil and generously salt them they roast very well. Although they always take much much longer than the instructions ever state.

The greens were bought prepared.
The ham hocks came prepared in foil trays.
The gluten free yorkshire puds were pre-made (and good!), they did a good job keeping the gravy hot.
The cider apple jelly was one of The Bay Tree's delightful jars.
And not in the pic everyone had a small jug of blue cheese sauce which was just 4 packs of Saint Agur warmed in a pan.

Minimal effort, maximum impact 👍
I have the same problem when I roast chicken. I follow the recipe, but the chicken always takes longer than instructed and looks no where near how it does in the recipe. Never once has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom