What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary; I'd make a wild guess and say that Mac & Cheese, and pasta salads probably make up 90% of that consumption :D
I was referring to the US specifically, and yes, I would say that most people in the US are eating a lot of macaroni and cheese, especially kids, although that stuff that comes in the blue box with the powdered cheese is an abomination.

I somehow got subscribed to Hometalk DIY emails, which show interesting ideas to make your life easier. It's the first unwanted email chain that I've decided to not block. Today, they had a fantastic idea: spray your box grater with cooking spray so things (particularly cheese) slide through more easily. I've never had a real issue with things like carrots that have moisture to them, but this seems like a great idea for cheese. I rarely use my cooking spray anyway, so this is a great use for it.
Thanks for that tip!

Made some hotel sammiches (made in the hotel for the journey).
Tried tin chicken for the first time, didn't know it existed, thought it wouldn't make it past the first taste but was surprised.
Not top notch chicken of course but amazing what they can do with added- spices, salt, pork gelatine, stabilisers and msg 😆

IMG_2820.jpeg

Lunch bits n pieces for sammich assembly.

IMG_2821.jpeg

Brain fart. Didn't have room to lay the bread out my usual way for making 3 sarnies, brain didn't like it and decided on the above 🙄😆

IMG_2823.jpeg

Parcelled up in a rather marvellous American concoction (least I think it's American) - food safe, pu coated, machine washable stretch fabric.
Great if your not a fan of plastic sandwich bags!

Last edited:
Made some hotel sammiches.
Tried tin chicken for the first time, didn't know it existed, thought it wouldn't make it past the first taste but was surprised.
Not top notch chicken of course but amazing what they can do with added- spices, salt, pork gelatine, stabilisers and msg 😆

View attachment 113645
Lunch bits n pieces for sammich assembly.

View attachment 113646
Brain fart. Didn't have room to lay the bread out my usual way for making 3 sarnies, brain didn't like it and decided on the above 🙄😆

View attachment 113647
Parcelled up in a rather marvellous American concoction (least I think it's American) - food safe, pu coated, machine washable stretch fabric.
Great if your not a fan of plastic sandwich bags!
I've not seen tinned chicken in whole pieces over here. Ours isn't bad either (I've never bought it but I have eaten it before and would for shelf-stable road food like you do), but ours comes more in the consistency of tinned tuna--chunks and shreds instead of whole pieces. It might come in whole chunks with some brands I don't know about, though.

I've not seen tinned chicken in whole pieces over here. Ours isn't bad either (I've never bought it but I have eaten it before and would for shelf-stable road food like you do), but ours comes more in the consistency of tinned tuna--chunks and shreds instead of whole pieces. It might come in whole chunks with some brands I don't know about, though.
Not an area I've ever delved into before either but they like do like solid blocks of meat in the UK so I would have been surprised if it wasn't that consistency.

Not sure it would be good without the added extra's, and on its own, nope, that's not chicken!

But as a shelf stable ingredient, resistant to high heat and the vibrations that allow motorcycles to break most things it was worth eating in a sandwich.

Not an area I've ever delved into before either but they like do like solid blocks of meat in the UK so I would have been surprised if it wasn't that consistency.

Not sure it would be good without the added extra's, and on its own, nope, that's not chicken!

But as a shelf stable ingredient, resistant to high heat and the vibrations that allow motorcycles to break most things it was worth eating in a sandwich.
Yeah, my husband's stepfather has a daughter who isn't much of a cook and when we have family gatherings, she makes a Buffalo chicken dip using canned chicken. It's edible. Usually too salty for my tastes. I think it's just as easy (if you aren't traveling) to poach a chicken breast or two on the stove and remove the meat, then you can have a lot more control over the salt. I am sure in a sandwich with vegetables and whatnot it balances it out, but with the canned chicken, cream cheese, and Buffalo hot sauce, it's sodium + sodium + sodium, and then it gets dipped with salty tortilla chips! And she's a nurse and her dad has a heart condition...anyway.

Yeah, my husband's stepfather has a daughter who isn't much of a cook and when we have family gatherings, she makes a Buffalo chicken dip using canned chicken. It's edible. Usually too salty for my tastes. I think it's just as easy (if you aren't traveling) to poach a chicken breast or two on the stove and remove the meat, then you can have a lot more control over the salt. I am sure in a sandwich with vegetables and whatnot it balances it out, but with the canned chicken, cream cheese, and Buffalo hot sauce, it's sodium + sodium + sodium, and then it gets dipped with salty tortilla chips! And she's a nurse and her dad has a heart condition...anyway.
Yep, that was one very small tin that was sliced a thinly because it was so salty. Without the cucumber and tomato in there it would have been far to much salt.

Yep, that was one very small tin that was sliced a thinly because it was so salty. Without the cucumber and tomato in there it would have been far to much salt.
I figured as much. I am sure it doesn't taste very good without it.

yes, I would say that most people in the US are eating a lot of macaroni and cheese,
... and in the UK, I might just point at Spag Bol and Lasagna.
Thousands of Italians arrived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. My late FIL's family came from Elba; he was born in 1926. In the 1940s and 50s, the Venezuelan dictator promoted immigration from Europe, and over 300,000 more Italians arrived. According to Wiki, over 5 million Venezuelans today (that's about 17%) have Italian heritage. I suppose that's where the pasta came from.
Go to an Italian restaurant here (and there are thousands), you'll find at least 7 or 8 different pastas on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom