What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Tonight we had American fish and chips or French fries as we call them here. The cod was caught off the coast of Alaska. The beer batter was made with an American beer made in Boston. The homemade tartar sauce featured dill pickles made in Michigan and the dish was topped off with Idaho russet potatoes fried to a golden color. It is one of my favorite dishes from the UK and one of my favorite dishes from anywhere. True comfort food. Sorry, I didn't have time to take a photo.

I applaud time you spent doing this . I too love this dish.

Russ

Just got my bacon-wrapped Hungarian-hot peppers stuffed with sausage and cream cheese (and herbs) prepped. I won't bake them until around 9:15 as we won't eat them until around 10. My eyes were watering and I couldn't breathe as I was coring the darned things and my fingers are stinging! I know from experience that they will mellow out with cooking, especially with the non-spicy ingredients. I'll write up the recipe tomorrow most likely.

Hugarian hot cream cheese, sausage and veggies stuffing.jpg
Hugarian hot stuffed before bacon.jpg
Hugarian hot stuffed wraooed in bacon prebake.jpg

Tonight we had American fish and chips or French fries as we call them here. The cod was caught off the coast of Alaska. The beer batter was made with an American beer made in Boston. The homemade tartar sauce featured dill pickles made in Michigan and the dish was topped off with Idaho russet potatoes fried to a golden color. It is one of my favorite dishes from the UK and one of my favorite dishes from anywhere. True comfort food. Sorry, I didn't have time to take a photo.
Heck, no worries. Lots of times I am just soooo looking forward to eating what I made I don't even care, why let good food get cold when you're hungry?

No photos this time, but I've shown this meal previous times here:
I always have these frozen for quick snacks or add-ons to a meal -
Steamed Edamame
Pork & Veggie Dumplings
Take out from our local Asian Bistro:
2 Cucumber Maki Rolls
1 Salmon Maki Roll
One order for Mixed Veggies with Beef and an upsell to Lo Mein or steamed White Rice

We shared!
We have enough noodles and beef & veg for another meal

I've been away from home for 6 days so far and am craving the comfort of my own kitchen.I've eaten Chinese (twice), pasta (twice) Lebanese (once) and sushi (once), but I don't like living on takeaway food, definitely not. I've probably got another week of this.
I've been cooking and supervising the cooking of Indian food all week and spend the days trying Butter Chicken, Chicken Curry, Beef curry, Beef Pasanda, potatoes with cauliflower, peas with paneer, chicken kababs, gulab jamun, shrikhand, Indian ice cream, etc., etc., etc. To be honest, the kitchen staff have been very good and seem to be learning fast, although this week coming, they get thrown into the deep end and get to do everything on their own (under my eagle eye!).
I just long to be able to open my cupboard and find all the condiments and ingredients I need, instead of having to go out and buy them (and probably have them go to waste).
Never mind. I signed up for a really interesting project and, when it's completed, I'll be very, very satisfied and will be able to return to my porky old dog and a view of the mountains!

I've been away from home for 6 days so far and am craving the comfort of my own kitchen.I've eaten Chinese (twice), pasta (twice) Lebanese (once) and sushi (once), but I don't like living on takeaway food, definitely not. I've probably got another week of this.
I've been cooking and supervising the cooking of Indian food all week and spend the days trying Butter Chicken, Chicken Curry, Beef curry, Beef Pasanda, potatoes with cauliflower, peas with paneer, chicken kababs, gulab jamun, shrikhand, Indian ice cream, etc., etc., etc. To be honest, the kitchen staff have been very good and seem to be learning fast, although this week coming, they get thrown into the deep end and get to do everything on their own (under my eagle eye!).
I just long to be able to open my cupboard and find all the condiments and ingredients I need, instead of having to go out and buy them (and probably have them go to waste).
Never mind. I signed up for a really interesting project and, when it's completed, I'll be very, very satisfied and will be able to return to my porky old dog and a view of the mountains!
You've reached the point that often makes me want to turn my bike around and head home!
May I interest you in the joys of kettle cooking? 😂
Buy a cheap kettle and some bags n sous vide your way through next week.
I'd recommended starting on a mushroom omelette 🍳 😃

But seriously I feel your pain! Enormous satisfaction coming your way though.

I'm curious as an expert in Indian food, what constitutes a generic chicken and beef curry?

I'm curious as an expert in Indian food, what constitutes a generic chicken and beef curry?
Curry powder. If in doubt, whack it with more curry powder. Mild - just curry powder. Medium - add 1 tsp generic cayenne pepper. Hot - add 2 or 3 tsps of cayenne. I would normally not make a "curry"under any circumstance because it's not real Indian food, but the client gets what the client wants.
An I'm not against curry powder, no, not at all. It's just a masala, but with far too many ingredients!

Back
Top Bottom