What did you cook or eat today (November 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You picked two foods I won't eat. Bologna and tomato soup. Most of my family eats that and like it, so...I am the oddball. Ah well.
I'm with you on bologna, however, the only tomato soup in a can I will eat is Heinz tomato soup. As a child when I was sick my mum always fed me a bowl of Heinz and a couple of slices of cheap white buttered bread. Did the trick every time!

I'm with you on bologna, however, the only tomato soup in a can I will eat is Heinz tomato soup. As a child when I was sick my mum always fed me a bowl of Heinz and a couple of slices of cheap white buttered bread. Did the trick every time!
I don't even think we have Heinz tomato soup over here. We have other Heinz products, such as ketchup. I can see why that would trigger some fond childhood memories of comfort. And maybe Heinz tomato soup is vastly superior to Campbells, not sure. I think over in the US we have a Progresso brand of tomato soup that some people like. It's not condensed. One of my stepdaughters orders tomato basil soup at this particular restaurant we used to go to all the time and absolutely loves it. But then again, she will eat that condensed stuff, too. She likes dipping grilled cheese sandwiches in it. I always bought it when she was little because she and the other kids all liked it. And they liked hot dogs, too, though 3 out of the 4 won't eat them anymore. I will only eat a hot dog whilst at a baseball game and it has to be slightly charred with chili, onion, mustard and cheese on it.

Reactions: mjd
Crayfish salad
cra_11.jpg

@ Jas, You can get it in the "ethnic aisle" at least you can in Florida. It's nothing like Progresso or Campbells. I guess it is a childhood memory but I had some last week with a home cured bacon sandwich and it was just as good as I remembered!

@ Jas, You can get it in the "ethnic aisle" at least you can in Florida. It's nothing like Progresso or Campbells. I guess it is a childhood memory but I had some last week with a home cured bacon sandwich and it was just as good as I remembered!
Must depend on which part of Florida. I grew up in a small town on the Gulf of Mexico in the Florida panhandle, we didn't have it in our stores.

I do realize that my tastes are not the norm, LOL.

Reactions: mjd

If I buy tomato soup, it is this...

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 1.08.57 PM.jpg

CD

It wasn't the soup or bread. Your mom healed you with her love. ;-)

Last nights dinner was the other half of the massive turkey thigh. It was a free range "black" bird that must have been very big as the two thighs were over 5 kg I estimate it was about 15/17 kg dressed. The meat on the thigh is very "dark" and deliciously gamy. The half I rolled stuffed and roasted had to be sliced thinly as it was tough. I braised this half in the slow cooker with fabulous results, rich gamy gravy with tender meat. We had braised sour cabbage and carrots that were slow cooked in the pot with the thigh. It actually tasted like a well hung old pheasant.
1606280128541.png
1606280152391.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom