What did you cook or eat today (November 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple but tasty fare for dinner today. Lamb shoarma in pita bread, sliced snack peppers, oven fries and garlic sauce/ ketchup.

I can't remember you cooking steak before. Looks excellent for a first time effort.

Although I'm not sure what a "flat iron steak" is.

Flat Iron steak is a wonderful cut of steak. It is tender, like a tenderloin/filet mignon, but has more flavor, more like a sirloin. It used to be really cheap, but then the celebrity chefs started promoting it, so now it is in the price range of ribeye or NY strip.

FlatIron.jpg

CD

Flat Iron steak is a wonderful cut of steak. It is tender, like a tenderloin/filet mignon, but has more flavor, more like a sirloin. It used to be really cheap, but then the celebrity chefs started promoting it, so now it is in the price range of ribeye or NY strip.

Could you place it on the Thai cuts of beef map?

Cooking Back ribs out here in Death Valley Ca.
Smoked with pecan and cherry wood.

The red n pink color is from the smoke ring amplified by the tomato based barbecue sauce.
2hrs in the smoker at 225f then in the casserole style crock pot 4 hours on high.
Conventional crock pot 3 hours on High to low.

Seems every time I cook them I improve them.
Last batch seemed dry.
A tip by a Cue master (Tulane football coach) suggested I let them rest a little under and hour between the smoker and crock pot.
Retains moisture. Yes it most certainly does.
Whodathunkit but it helped.

Last edited:
I can't remember you cooking steak before. Looks excellent for a first time effort.

View attachment 49616

Although I'm not sure what a "flat iron steak" is.

Thanks - blow torch used to finish. I've been practising with a vengeance as my friend is staying here in a 'bubble' with us and he loves steak! I don't know what flat iron is either but Morrisons sell these American cuts and their meat is excellent! Its really cheap here so I'm not sure its the same as the one caseydog refers to above.

Last edited:
Thanks - blow torch used to finish. I've been practising with a vengeance as my friend is staying here in a 'bubble' with us and he loves steak! I don't know what flat iron is either but Morrisons sell these American cuts and their meat is excellent! Its really cheap here so I'm not sure its the same as the one caseydog refers to above.

View attachment 49637

Well, that flat iron steak looks the same, from the picture.

The reason it is expensive here is that the celebrity chefs made it popular. Before, it was "poor man's tenderloin." It went from 3-bucks a pound, to 8-bucks a pound.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom