What did you cook today (Jan 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyExWasAChef

Veteran
Local time
12:05 AM
Mod Edit: Each Month, we will start a new thread called "What did you cook today?"
It is for you write up what you have eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have cooked and eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to cover any meal or snack that you have eaten.

It is not for the recipe, that can be written up separately if you want to (which would be great) and if you have a picture/photo, not matter what the quality, of your plate of food, that would be fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the day after New Years at my house so we all get to eat leftovers, which can be a good thing. I put the pork belly and ham in the oven for lunch. Chopped up the leftover cheese platter and served it up with fruit salad for dessert. I made turkey sandwiches for snacks and for dinner we had mixed vegetables and grapes.

Made my "famous" taco-chili. Hamburger, beans, salsa, tomato juice, and taco seasoning, topped with cheese. It's been a family favorite for years, and was the result of me not wanting to go to the store for chili seasoning, so I used taco instead. Come to think of it, a lot of my recipes were the result of my laziness or forgetfulness. Oh, well, as long as it's good!

I'm recovering from a cold and just resting at home, so I didn't cook anything too fancy today. I made tomato soup and a three-cheese grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, and just planning on sipping on some tea instead of dinner. Still feeling pretty under the weather.

We had a big cook up today and made potato bacon and leek soup for the week, and a big beef brisket that we will use in a few different dishes. The house smelled really good...I can't wait to eat some of the brisket when it's done!

Today I'm back on the sourdough... I have 3 loaves to make. The usual rye bread for my OH's sandwiches. A soft dippy or at least what we class as a soft dippy sourdough for the soups and stews we will be having next week. And finally a special for a friend who loves my sourdough bread and who is helping me out next week (I still can't lift the wheelchair in and out of the car so need help to go anywhere).

Our dinner is chicken sarciado or chicken in tomato sauce. It is sauteed with garlic and onions plus ginger before putting in the chopped chicken (it is one whole chicken that would take care of our dinner and would last until tomorrow's lunch). After the sautee, the soy sauce is added before the tomato sauce. And the garnishing of sliced potato and carrots will follow when the chicken is already tender. And for the final salvo, a can of green peas will add flavor. It is best served with steaming rice.

Well, today is my uncle's birthday so we had pancit at home, specifically it's pancit canton. We usually have this type of food during someone's birthday because it means "long life." Pancit is just noodles, sauteed on oil, garlic and onion. Added ingredients may be fish ball, carrots, chicken, lettuce and that's it!

I cooked pav bhaji for lunch and vegetable pea pulao for dinner.

Today I am making baked beans and a ham with some homemade molasses brown bread.

I made a simple spaghetti with tomato sauce, filled with lots of vegetables like onion, courgette and carrot. I also added some olives that we brought from Portugal, they are delicious :) I love simple but tasty food!

Please post recipes!
Here's the recipe for pea pulao:

The list of ingredients is as follows:

• Basmati Rice 1 cup
  • Green peas shelled 1 cup
  • Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
  • Onion 1
  • Oil 3-4 tablespoons
  • Salt to taste
Mehod:
  1. Wash and soak rice for twenty minutes. Peel and slice the onions. Now heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and once they start to crackle, add sliced onions.
  2. Fry till onions are translucent. Now add peas, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice. Pour two cups of water and add salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
  3. Lower the gas flame and cover the lid of the pan. Cook till all the water is absorbed and rice are cooked. Serve hot.
=> You can also consider other vegetables like sliced carrots, cauliflower, potatoes in the pulao.

Here's the recipe for pea pulao:

The list of ingredients is as follows:

• Basmati Rice 1 cup
  • Green peas shelled 1 cup
  • Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
  • Onion 1
  • Oil 3-4 tablespoons
  • Salt to taste
Mehod:
  1. Wash and soak rice for twenty minutes. Peel and slice the onions. Now heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and once they start to crackle, add sliced onions.
  2. Fry till onions are translucent. Now add peas, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice. Pour two cups of water and add salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
  3. Lower the gas flame and cover the lid of the pan. Cook till all the water is absorbed and rice are cooked. Serve hot.
=> You can also consider other vegetables like sliced carrots, cauliflower, potatoes in the pulao.
Many thanks. You should post this with a Recipe prefix under the Rice and other Grains section. If you click on post new thread in that section it will give you the option of a prefix next to the title. See also the latest discussion there about how to cook rice! Would love to see the pav bhaji recipe too! I don't know what 'pav' is, although I know what a bhaji is.

This lunch we had brocolli, carrot, red bell pepper and tofu sauteed in garlic and onion with oyster sauce which is perfect for our fried sword fish.

Then for our dinner tonight I will cook corned beef sauteed in garlic, onion and tomatoes with potatoes and I will make a corned beef omelette after sauteeing it. Then I will just make a corn soup to compliment the omelette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom