What did you cook today October 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That chop reminds me of carabao, a strange plant that the Filipinos eat raw and is named after a water buffalo. I have never discovered how it's used in cooking, if at all it is.

carabao.jpg

That chop reminds me of carabao, a strange plant that the Filipinos eat raw and is named after a water buffalo. I have never discovered how it's used in cooking, if at all it is.

View attachment 3276
Until I read your words, I thought the picture was of charcoaled bats!

This evening's beef fillet (with a few Champignons, chips, poached duck egg, grass and English mustard).

fillet-chips_zps1etryu4y.jpg

For the egg connoisseurs:

fillet-chips-egg.jpg

And the beef connoisseurs:

fillet-chips-beef.jpg

We are having slow cooked pinto beans with ham bone and lean bacon. (Started last night).
Note the beans were rinsed very well and I used bottled water. I didn't want muddy beans.
We will also make cornbread and french fries.
And maybe have the rest of the coleslaw.

We had visitors most of the afternoon so it was a matter of knocking up a snack. Never mind, pork ribs tomorrow.

beans%20sausage%20toast_zpswxlifkrq.png

beans sausage toast eggbleed.jpg

The plan today was to spend the day on an secluded beach, get in some snorkeling and have a barbeque. The carefully selected beach was great, albeit involving a huge treck and much boulder scrambling. The beef kebabs, marinaded for many days, were too ripe even for us to eat. The shore was boulder ridden and totally unsafe for snorkeling. And we hadn't realised we were nearby to a naturist beach. Taylor Swift they were not - the sight of octagenarian willies invading our space was enough to put an end to the day's adventure.

Plan B: drive to nearest seafood store and buy a few handfuls of raw tiger prawns. Back to apartment, shell the prawns, olive oil and good chunk of (French, salted) butter in a pan. Three big cloves of garlic, thinly sliced, in to soften. Prawns in, couple of minutes then turned. Handfull of chopped fresh coriander (we were out of parsley), season and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Rip up some French stick and get stuck in. Bottle of Yiaskouris 2010 Oak aged Shiraz (i've been hunting this all week). Job done. Sorry no photo's but eating it was the priority. Sometimes, the simplest meals are the best!

Last night. A slight variation on my indian curry dish. It has stood overnight before I photo'ed it and was stone cold so probably not looking that good to people. served over brown basmati rice with 2 poached eggs done as above, very runny!

IMG_5836.JPG

Perhaps I need to photo the meal when it is served, not a day later in the pan. Mind you in is a very useful pan. It acts as a frying pan, a casserole bowl, has a lid and can go into the oven as well.

I was short on time, so the chillies went in whole for a change. It has diced carrot and TVP mince it is for a change and red lentils instead of the potatoes I usually put in it.

We had pork chops in mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes, leftover steamed zucchini, leftover sweet potatoes, leftover cooked onions and rolls.

Perhaps I need to photo the meal when it is served, not a day later in the pan. Mind you in is a very useful pan. It acts as a frying pan, a casserole bowl, has a lid and can go into the oven as well.

That looks like an excellent pan. Is it cast iron?

These were today's pork ribs with a jacket potato. And there are left overs for tomorrow (unless my wife gets to them first).

oct-ribs_zpsjerfcnbd.jpg

We will be having cheddar & jalapeño smoked sausage, fried corn and not sure what else yet.
It was supposed to be liver & onions but our high today will be around 92F or 33C. No way am I getting out the cast iron griddle. It heats up the entire house.

That looks like an excellent pan. Is it cast iron?
I'm not 100% sure tbh despite only purchasing it 4 years ago. It has a stainless steel base to it - a thick one for the cooking element to be in contact with, and steel hands. The lid is glass with a steel handle, and the inside does need seasoning, so probably is a coated cast iron of some kind. It is heavy, but not too heavy. Sadly we can't remember the make, but though it Danish. Though it could be Scandinavia rather than specifically Danish. We also can't get back to the shop we purchased it from, but it is a marvellous pan.

Periodically I have to season it (aka wait til my OH is at work and put oil in and burn.... leave to cool). Ideally the pan doesn't get washed - no need being veggie minus dairy, it just gets wiped clean with kitchen paper nothing more. It is virtually always in use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom