What dish from another country or culture can you not live without?

Vinfishp

Über Member
Local time
11:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a student from the Netherlands and I've been learning more about globalization lately.
Personally I like to talk about food so I would like to know what dish that is not originally from your own culture or country, can you not live without?

For me it's traditional italian pasta!

Indian curry for me also (or Mexican chili con carne).

That is a hard question. I would say potatoes.
If you mean a dish, then I can't think of any at the moment.

Pizza or Sushi.

Or BBQ.

Or lamb chops.

Or steak.

Or Souvlaki.

Or eggs.

Or burgers and fries.

There's too many. I think the reason I like talking to very young children is that they5 always ask what's your favourite something, then what's your second, and third, and so on.

I like that kind of open mindedness. Or maybe it's more free mindedness.

There's too many. I think the reason I like talking to very young children is that they5 always ask what's your favourite something, then what's your second, and third, and so on.

I thought this question was about which dish from another country or culture. So burgers, eggs, steak etc. wouldn't count....

How do I fare with this question? I am here which is another country and culture from where I was born and lived for 45 years?

I thought this question was about which dish from another country or culture. So burgers, eggs, steak etc. wouldn't count....

Hmm, yes, I got a bit lost thinking of the foods I love and eat regularly. But technically all of the things I mentioned originated in other countries.

Dishes I cannot live without that are not from Spain: ( off top of thinking cap) :

Italy: Genovese Focaccia. / Milan: Red Prawns with Risotto. Sardinian Crisp Bread called Carta di Musica ) .. Truffles. Mushrooms. Genovese Basil Pesto. Carpacchio. Fresh made Angoletti ( a crescent shaped Ravioli ) filled with Goat Cheese Ricotta & Rocket .. Fresh Tomato Marinara ..
Bagna Cauda ( a Piedmont Italian Fondue prepared from Evoo, garlic, butter, salt, black pepper and anchovies & we dip in red bell strips and celery stalks, carrots, crudities of choice in this hot dip. Bagna = Bath in English and Cauda = hot in English ) and last but not least, a thin crust Wood burning oven Pizza with just Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala, Fresh tomato & Fresh Basil ..

France: Brittany Blue Lobster. French Macarons from Pâtissier et Chocolatier Pierre Hermé. Filet Mignon Tartare. Mushrooms .. Marseille Shellfish Boullabaisse.

Greece: Taramosalata, Tzatziki, Dolmades filled with prawns and dill scented rice, Goat Cheese Feta ..

Japan: Nigriri & Sashimi & Sushi ..

Morocco: Vegetarian Couscous and Prawn or Wild Fish Tagine ..

Generic: Wild natural Forest Boletus Eduli, Black Trumphets and Morille Mushrooms ..

The Sea: All wild shellfish and most wild Mediterranean or Atlantic fish ..

Last edited:
Dishes I cannot live without that are not from Spain: ( off top of thinking cap) :

Italy: Genovese Focaccia. / Milan: Red Prawns with Risotto. Sardinian Crisp Bread called Carta di Musica ) .. Truffles. Mushrooms. Genovese Basil Pesto. Carpacchio. Fresh made Angoletti ( a crescent shaped Ravioli ) filled with Goat Cheese Ricotta & Rocket .. Fresh Tomato Marinara ..
Bagna Cauda ( a Piedmont Italian Fondue prepared from Evoo, garlic, butter, salt, black pepper and anchovies & we dip in red bell strips and celery stalks, carrots, crudities of choice in this hot dip. Bagna = Bath in English and Cauda = hot in English ) and last but not least, a thin crust Wood burning oven Pizza with just Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala, Fresh tomato & Fresh Basil ..

France: Brittany Blue Lobster. French Macarons from Pâtissier et Chocolatier Pierre Hermé. Filet Mignon Tartare. Mushrooms .. Marseille Shellfish Boullabaisse.

Greece: Taramosalata, Tzatziki, Dolmades filled with prawns and dill scented rice, Goat Cheese Feta ..

Japan: Nigriri & Sashimi & Sushi ..

Morocco: Vegetarian Couscous and Prawn or Wild Fish Tagine ..

Generic: Wild natural Forest Boletus Eduli, Black Trumphets and Morille Mushrooms ..

The Sea: All wild shellfish and most wild Mediterranean or Atlantic fish ..

Wow! What a great list - I love all of those dishes.

Wow! What a great list - I love all of those dishes.

@morning glory

Thanks !

I did not really get into Asian except for Japanese, as most of the Asian Cuisines in Spain as a whole are adapted to the Spanish palate and are very different from the actual cuisines in Asia and do not exist outside of Spain .. I was in Hong Kong, Japan and Thailand.

Unlike London, Indian is not at its best in Iberia either except for the one restaurant located very close to the British Embassy in Madrid Capital .. And it is packed with British Expats & Tourists .. One must book 2 to 3 weeks in advance ..

I am sure you have a wonderful list too ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom