What do you do with your day old rice

Pat

Veteran
Local time
3:34 PM
When you have rice leftover from the previous day what do you do with it?

Sometimes I eat it as cereal, I also mix it into the makings of soup.

Day old rice is ideal for a fried rice dish. Just make sure you cool it quickly, refrigerate it, and reheat it thoroughly, as there can be a nasty bacteria in cooked rice. That said, I've never had a problem...

If I have leftover rice, I will more than likely have leftover other stuff that was prepared at the same time. If that is the case I just eat everything again that I ate previously, or I may use the rice on the side of something new, or I may do a stir fry or... I like to cook a big batch so I can have already have some ready at meal time and just heat it up. It saves a lot of time.

Leftover rice I indeed use for refried meals, or egg fried rice. It's sticky enough to hold with the batter and seasonings and fry well. You can also make rice patties (much like potato patties) and use them on various sandwiches with cheese and toppings (I like low fat cheese and healthy mushrooms) for a very heart-healthy snack that tastes like it's bad for you.

If I have a little rice left over from the previous day, I would usually fry it up in a little butter with some onions along with some curry and cayenne pepper. This would normally form part of my breakfast. There are also times that I would cook enough rice to serve 2 days which would be enough to serve as lunch for the next day.

eat it. we reheat it til really hot. that said I will eat 2 day old rice as well, again well reheated and have never had issues. but I was always brought up to believe I should not reheat rice due to bacteria issues.

If you eat Chinese food and enjoy fried rice then you are eating day old rice.

All the boiled rice left over in a Chinese restaurant or take away is saved and turned into fried rice for the next day.
Any left over fried rice is usually eaten by the staff at the end of the day.

I usually use it for another dishes, mix it with vegetables and eat it up! I also usually boil it again for sometime just so it is nice, hot and moist.
I find that when I reheat it using the microwave it becomes a tad dried out and I don't particularly like dried rice!

Egg fry that leftover rice. Add said egg-fried rice to any number of stir-fry at your disposal. I choose heavily meat based ones so it reminds me of a Chinese restaurant, but vegetable fried rice isn't bad either if there's plenty of greens.

I was always told to avoid eating leftover rice due to the risk of food poisoning. It seems as though everyone eats it with no adverse affects though! I love fried rice from the Chinese takeaway, so I must have eaten it before. I take it the key to safety is to reheat it to an almost nuclear temperature before serving?

I was always told to avoid eating leftover rice due to the risk of food poisoning. It seems as though everyone eats it with no adverse affects though! I love fried rice from the Chinese takeaway, so I must have eaten it before. I take it the key to safety is to reheat it to an almost nuclear temperature before serving?

What I've heard is that you need to cool it as quickly as possible (IE don't just leave it around at room temperature., get it in the fridge as soon as possible), and then when reheating, make sure it's good and hot all the way through.

That said, I've probably been much more lax and been ok, but I do have a fairly strong constitution.

I am surprise to hear there could be bacteria related issues from left over rice. If there is truth in that my stomach must be a mess. Seriously though, rice is my best left over food. I can fry it with so many things some of which are mentioned here. I noticed some use it as a breakfast meal. I have never been able to do that.

Last edited:
I have never gotten sick from eating day old rice. I always put my left overs in the fridge right away so that no bacteria can grow. I usually make a broccoli dish with my left over rice. I will mix the rice in which broccoli and cheese sauce and then put this in a baking dish and top it with panoramic bread crumbs. Bake it for about 30 minutes and you will have a delicious side dish for dinner.

At work as the risk is so high on reheating rice I ditch it ,At home we spice up diced,peppers ,celery ,onions fine carrots with curry powder and garlic add the rice a bit of veg stock and peas then heat then add boiled eggs quartered ,similar to a quick kedergree serve with fried fish

I stir fry my unfinished rice from last night and add in some some meats and vegetables. I put eggs in it too and make Fried Rice for real. I think this is the most obvious answer really but you can also try making porridge or make rice noodles from it.

Back
Top Bottom