What do you do with your day old rice

At work as the risk is so high on reheating rice I ditch it ,At home we spice up diced,peppers ,celery ,onions fine carrots with curry powder and garlic add the rice a bit of veg stock and peas then heat then add boiled eggs quartered ,similar to a quick kedergree serve with fried fish
I've heard of the risk being high from another chef, but it seems strange, I mean, its things like meat or fish that one might assume to be risky. But innocuous old rice? Do you know why it is. And would that apply to left over pasta as well?

I stir fry my unfinished rice from last night and add in some some meats and vegetables. I put eggs in it too and make Fried Rice for real. I think this is the most obvious answer really but you can also try making porridge or make rice noodles from it.
So how would you make rice noodles from it? If you have a recipe you can start a new thread under the pasta and noodles or the rice categories. When you click on start new thread you will see a 'prefix' option next to thread title. Choose 'Recipe' and it will appear as a recipe when you post it.

I make a fried rice out of it. I think a day old rice is perfect for fried rice I do not know the science behind it but that is how Chinese restaurants will do it and it works every time. I think making the rice rest for a couple of hours inside the fridge will prevent the sticking together of the grains. It helps achieve that long grain effect.

Our excess rice is kept in a plastic bag for storing in the fridge. For the next meal, we can either fry it or place over the newly cooked rice (to heat it) and serve it together with the newly cooked rice. Even if the leftover rice is just a few tablespoon, we do not throw it away. But sometimes we intentionally cook a big volume so we would have an excess that we plan to cook into fried rice for the next day's breakfast.

I normally use it to create a stir fry dish. I just fry it with chili old, chili flakes, soya sauce, garlic, onions and a mixture of vegetables such broccolis, cauliflower, peas and corn.

I've never really had an issue. We just pop it in a Tupperware and tend to reheat it with no problems. Either that or we will use it in a fried rice dish, and then any leftovers from that still end up getting kept for a few extra days! :wink:

When you have rice leftover from the previous day what do you do with it?

Sometimes I eat it as cereal, I also mix it into the makings of soup.
My mother used to always make rice pudding with it. I had some rice left over here. I made spaghetti and had some leftover meat sauce so I turned it into Spanish rice. Actually though, I think I am going to get rid of it, I think it has been in the fridge too long!:(

After talking about how good my rice cooking is, I called in my son to oversee some rice I was cooking for him and it ended up being too soggy. This set of left overs none of which was really eaten goes to my girls the dogs with some sort of spicing up with some meat or something.

I use the left-over rice to make vegetable fried rice and use it a snack in the evening. Sometimes I add some condensed milk and sugar to it to make instant kheer. I also use it as a stuffing to make paranthas.

Back
Top Bottom