What do you grow?

Do you grow watermelon? I've tried for two years without luck.

Russ
I inadvertently got a watermelon plant labeled as cantaloupe. It actually had two tags - one cantaloupe and one watermelon. I have successfully grown cantaloupe vertically. If the watermelon is Sweet Baby (name on the tag) I should be able to grow it vertically. I train the vines to grow vertically on a chicken wire frame. When fruit begins to develop I support it with slings - either stockings or mesh bags from live crawfish. The cantaloupe was great. I am excited to try the watermelon. Sweet Baby is a small, round variety. Ideal for growing vertically. I would not attempt to grow full sized watermelon.

I inadvertently got a watermelon plant labeled as cantaloupe. It actually had two tags - one cantaloupe and one watermelon. I have successfully grown cantaloupe vertically. If the watermelon is Sweet Baby (name on the tag) I should be able to grow it vertically. I train the vines to grow vertically on a chicken wire frame. When fruit begins to develop I support it with slings - either stockings or mesh bags from live crawfish. The cantaloupe was great. I am excited to try the watermelon. Sweet Baby is a small, round variety. Ideal for growing vertically. I would not attempt to grow full sized watermelon.
Sweet baby was what I planted
Nada

Russ

An accidental experiment. Not something I would have done intentionally. I really need to take pics. The difference from a month ago is OMG. I have a cluster of Yellow pear tomatoes and a couple of jalapeno peppers. Everything is in bloom. I am having trouble with my starter pots. Not getting germination. Some of my seeds are old, three years. :cry: Tomato and eggplant seeds that I really wanted. I am still nursing them. I did see a new tomato trying to sprout this morning. 🙏 I have been fortunate. We had a VERY mild, almost non existent winter and a lovely spring. Spring is something we rarely see.
I think it is so cool that i am planting and growing summer crops and you are growing winter crops. Do you have problems with cabbage worms? Nasty suckers that will ruin cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
I envy anyone with a greenhouse. I do not NEED one but I WANT one.

I have practiced the basic principles of Square Foot Gardening for decades. I started with ground level boxes. With time and age that became a problem. I had no trouble getting down to work my boxes. I had a major problem getting up. Picture a 60 something year old woman walking on her knees trying to find a support to pull herself up on. :wacky: My Sweet George built 4 4'x4'x16" table height garden boxes for me. 😍 I forget. My boxes are at least three years old maybe four. :scratchhead:Three.
Square Foot Gardening produces a large amount of produce in a small amount of space. Many plants are grown vertically. An indeterminate tomato can be grown in one square foot. I have six or seven cucumber plants in 4 square feet. Peppers - one square foot each. If I get eggplants to germinate - 1 square foot each. Bush beans - 9 per square foot, staggered planting. I have 2 cantaloupe and 1 watermelon in 4 square feet. My table height boxes are a dream. No bending, no stooping, no getting on your knees, best of all no trying to get back up.:eek:

An accidental experiment. Not something I would have done intentionally. I really need to take pics. The difference from a month ago is OMG. I have a cluster of Yellow pear tomatoes and a couple of jalapeno peppers. Everything is in bloom. I am having trouble with my starter pots. Not getting germination. Some of my seeds are old, three years. :cry: Tomato and eggplant seeds that I really wanted. I am still nursing them. I did see a new tomato trying to sprout this morning. 🙏 I have been fortunate. We had a VERY mild, almost non existent winter and a lovely spring. Spring is something we rarely see.
I think it is so cool that i am planting and growing summer crops and you are growing winter crops. Do you have problems with cabbage worms? Nasty suckers that will ruin cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
I envy anyone with a greenhouse. I do not NEED one but I WANT one.

Wife puts pellets down around greens, snails and slugs are under control though. Picking hand full of chillies from greenhouse. She has three of them, about $40 here, these are in third year, so cheap as chips. Cucumbers are gone. Growing cilantro in greenhouse as an experiment. I use it a lot.
I'll find a pic of hers.

Russ

I have practiced the basic principles of Square Foot Gardening for decades. I started with ground level boxes. With time and age that became a problem. I had no trouble getting down to work my boxes. I had a major problem getting up. Picture a 60 something year old woman walking on her knees trying to find a support to pull herself up on. :wacky: My Sweet George built 4 4'x4'x16" table height garden boxes for me. 😍 I forget. My boxes are at least three years old maybe four. :scratchhead:Three.
Square Foot Gardening produces a large amount of produce in a small amount of space. Many plants are grown vertically. An indeterminate tomato can be grown in one square foot. I have six or seven cucumber plants in 4 square feet. Peppers - one square foot each. If I get eggplants to germinate - 1 square foot each. Bush beans - 9 per square foot, staggered planting. I have 2 cantaloupe and 1 watermelon in 4 square feet. My table height boxes are a dream. No bending, no stooping, no getting on your knees, best of all no trying to get back up.:eek:

We don't have trouble getting up, but ours are raised two railway sleepers high .think I've put pics up before.
Germination, that's my job here, if planting lettuces I plant about 20 seeds a week, normally 50% plus grow. I do that every two weeks. Watermelon and pumpkin I only got about 20% germination. Seems to vary. I get 100% in some crops. I'm experimenting growing chillies from Seed now for greenhouse
I have 4 appear out of 24 , these are outside but its autumn here. Winter starts 1 June.

Russ

Yes, defo warmer. But just to point out that apart from the broad beans these are only seedlings a couple of inches high as yet.

I have trouble converting your seasons to ours, weird you're planting out, and we are almost done with summer stuff, winter crops growing well. :)

Russ

Going to harvest a couple of these bad boys tomorrow. Love them with sesame noodles.

I have trouble converting your seasons to ours, weird you're planting out, and we are almost done with summer stuff, winter crops growing well. :)

Russ

We are more or less the opposite of you. Deduct six months from where you are now and that is the season here in the UK. When you are in the Autumn we are in Spring. When you are in Winter, we are in Summer. In the USA its more complicated as the climate varies greatly across the country.

Back
Top Bottom