What do you grow?

Gardening is done for now.
This is what my boxes look like.

This box has 7 indeterminate heirloom tomatoes. As they grow the leader will be twined around string - growing vertically = 1 plant per sq. ft.
There are 8 hot peppers with room for 2 eggplants. I have eggplant seeds in starter pots.

I added 2 peppers after taking the photo.
The next box has 8 cucumber seeds planted along the back. The plants will be trained to grow up the chicken wire.
7 sweet peppers. There is one heirloom tomato on the right. Seed for more in 2 starter pots. Room for 2 eggplants - seeds planted. Looking for another sweet pepper.

Box 3 - 2 cantelope and a watermelon. The vines will be tied to the chicken wire and the fruit supported in slings. The front row is planted with green bean seeds. 9 per sq ft. Additional rows will be planted every two weeks.

Second cantelope was added after photo.
4th box.
Beets that G planted in January. I have been harvesting greens for several weeks. Pulled the first roots last night. I would like to plant speckled butter beans and baby green butter beans if I can find the seeds. I have 4 heirloom tomatoes seeded in starter pots.

Herb pots.
Additional basil and dill seeds planted. Also chives.

🌱:dance:
Happy Camper!

View attachment 39197

This box has 7 indeterminate heirloom tomatoes. As they grow the leader will be twined around string - growing vertically = 1 plant per sq. ft.
There are 8 hot peppers with room for 2 eggplants. I have eggplant seeds in starter pots.
View attachment 39198
The next box has 8 cucumber seeds planted along the back. The plants will be trained to grow up the chicken wire.
7 sweet peppers. There is one heirloom tomato on the right. Seed for more in 2 starter pots. Room for 2 eggplants - seeds planted. Looking for another sweet pepper.
View attachment 39199

Box 3 - 2 cantelope and a watermelon. The vines will be tied to the chicken wire and the fruit supported in slings. The front row is planted with green bean seeds. 9 per sq ft. Additional rows will be planted every two weeks.
View attachment 39200

4th box.
Beets that G planted in January. I have been harvesting greens for several weeks. Pulled the first roots last night. I would like to plant speckled butter beans and baby green butter beans if I can find the seeds. I have 4 heirloom tomatoes seeded in starter pots.
View attachment 39201

Herb pots.
View attachment 39202

Happy Camper!
Bravo!!!

Sarana x

Garden centres all closed here and plant nurseries are in deep trouble (it was in the national news today). Its very difficult to obtain any plants now, even over the internet.

I did find some seed packets today which I'd forgotten about. They are extremely old! But I'll have a go at planting them out when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Garden centers, local nurseries and big box stores are still open and have some plants - not everything that I want. Called the seed store looking for butter bean seeds - none. I have purchased on line in the past. The company I deal with has a two week delay on shipping. I haven't yet checked their catalog. It is early enough to get seeds in the ground even with a delay.

I haven't been to any of the big box stores, but I'd be surprised if they're out of seeds, or even close to that. Plants, maybe, but not seeds.

I'm planning on going out to Meijer on Thursday, and they have a garden center attached, so I'll take a peek in there and see.

I wish I would just mail seeds to my international friends who are wanting, but I don't think that's allowed. 😐

They do have seeds just not what I wanted. My favorite seed company that I frequently use is not taking orders from home gardeners until the 6th then there is a 2 week delay on shipping
I did place an order with Park's. I have one variety of eggplant ordered another. They do have green butter beans. Ordered dill and basil- Low on those. Sage and oregano.
Their time line on shipping is 10 days. I should get them 3rd week of April. Plenty of time to plant. The plants that I put in the ground Sunday are all ready shooting up. They will get fertilized this weekend . I expect the green beans to be germinating by the end of the week. The cucumbers soon after.

View attachment 39197

View attachment 39198
View attachment 39199

View attachment 39200

4th box.
View attachment 39201

Herb pots.
View attachment 39202

Happy Camper!

Great effort and results. You're growing stuff we grew. It's Autumn here so winding down . Winter crops in.
Do you get deer or vermin calling at night?

Russ

Great effort and results. You're growing stuff we grew. It's Autumn here so winding down . Winter crops in.
Do you get deer or vermin calling at night?

Russ
We live in a subdivision. Birds will peck my tomatoes for water
A pan of water in the box helps keep the birds off of the fruit
My biggest problem is tomato horn worms. As soon as my plants get big and beautiful and begin to produce tomato horn worms show up. Early on I can spot the critters and pick them off. Eventually the flush growth of the plants makes it impossible to get the worms before they do extensive damage. I have to resort to a biologic - BT. It is not a poison. Not that I would but it can be ingested by humans with no harm. When ingested by the horn worms they stop feeding within minutes.
I do not like using chemical poison in my yard. There are 2 exceptions. We have a monthly termite service. A necessity in this part of the U.S.
The other exception is red ants/fire ants. Non negotiable. If you have ever inadvertantly stepped into a nest of fire ants you know what I mean. The name is an accurate description. The bite feels like fire then pustules form. The pustules can lead to infection.
:hyper:
Not on my watch.

View attachment 39197

View attachment 39198
View attachment 39199

View attachment 39200

4th box.
View attachment 39201

Herb pots.
View attachment 39202

Happy Camper!
That's a lot of hard work - we'll done!

Garden centers, local nurseries and big box stores are still open and have some plants - not everything that I want. Called the seed store looking for butter bean seeds - none. I have purchased on line in the past. The company I deal with has a two week delay on shipping. I haven't yet checked their catalog. It is early enough to get seeds in the ground even with a delay.
I've managed to get a few orders from Suttons. There was a queue to get on to their website a couple of days ago, but I did get through and ordered some chilli plant plugs. Aubergine plugs and chestnut mushroom kit have arrived so far, tomato plugs due end of month.

Back
Top Bottom