What do you like better, Meat cooked on or off the bone?

I prefer it on the bone, usually, though some things are just easier with the bone off/out. If I'm making pork and sauerkraut or pulled pork, I always remove the bone first.

My oma always used pork spareribs when making her "Boiled Dinner", which had various pork products, sauerkraut, onions, potatoes and a few other root veges. I'll often use bone in pork shoulder or butt for my pulled pork as when done to an internal temp between 198F and 205F, the bone(s) pull out clean.

I just got my standing rib roast from the butcher. In years past, I've left the bone on and carved it off at the table, but I read an article at Serious Eats that found no discernible difference between roasting with the bone on and roasting with the bone removed and tied back on, so I had the butcher do that for me and I'm trying that this year. I'll note they did find a difference when roasting without the bone at all.

I've heard both sides of the disagreement. I honestly don't know what is the absolute truth.

I like serving a bone-in ribeye if I have guests, because it makes a great presentation. If I'm just cooking a ribeye steak for myself, I go with a boneless steak. I don't want to pay for the bone, and the bone can puncture a sous vide bag.

When i smoke a pork butt, I leave the blade bone in. If nothing else, it is a perfect doneness indicator. As Craig said, if it pulls out with no resistance, your butt is done.

Of course, with things like ribs, it's kind of a no-brainer. They are not ribs without the "ribs."

CD

I feel like I need to conduct an experiment of some kind. Whenever I buy meat on the bone, I end up cutting it off, using the meat in some other way, and then using the bone to make a stock. But, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to leave the meat on the bone, and then make a stock afterward. Interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom