What do you miss about the UK?

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
1:00 AM
At my local tavern I often raise a glass with a retired London cop and a pensioner. BTW: The pensioner got US citizenship the same week he hit the pick 7 at the track. No one hit the pick 6 so both jackpots went to him. He then went directly to the Chevrolet dealer and bought a Silverado Pick up truck.

Both share the gift of gab at the bar. I always imagine that's the pub culture of London.
Both are extremely versed how the UK government (and the full depth how royal titles are distributed, and that's deep) works from the PM all the way down to a local neighborhood rep.

One day the conversation was flowing until someone asked them if they ever received six of the best in school.
Their eyes turned to asterisks as they defaulted into a 100 mile stare.

I guess they don't miss that at all.

Last edited:

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
9:00 AM
At my local tavern I often raise a glass with a retired London cop and a pensioner. BTW: The pensioner got US citizenship the same week he hit the pick 7 at the track. No one hit the pick 6 so both jackpots went to him. He then went directly to the Chevrolet dealer and bought a Silverado Pick up truck.

Both share the gift of gab at the bar. I always imagine that's the pub culture of London.
Both are extremely versed how the UK government (and the full depth how royal titles are distributed, and that's deep) works from the PM all the way down to a local neighborhood rep.

One day the conversation was flowing until someone asked them if they ever received six of the best in school.

I don't either. Normal part of life during my early teens.

Burt Blank

Veteran
Local time
10:00 AM

One of a few good mates here Big Brian is an ex guardsman and City of London Police Detective. I can count on B and he can count on me.
1610606894768.png
1610607182108.png

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
1:00 AM
I belong to a boating organization that is charity based. We raise a lot of money for a couple local charities from our selling amazing dinners and lunches we put on.
These meals are always booked solid, people paying premium donations.

We had this fantastic member, Cooper from the UK that knew spot-on how to prepare fish and chips London/UK style. His family ran a successful fish and chips biz in London.

Cooper ended up in the USA after working the British Consulate as a chef, married a local girl and this is where they settled.

Cooper was particular. The Cod was individually packaged and donated from a certain supplier.

Cod first brought to room temp and cooked in a very special frying oil. First dipped in a simple but special batter. The oil in fact was called "Special Fry" since outlawed in California.
The oil was not all purpose. It was a special blend of frying oils.

Cooper told me the real secret to his successful Fish n Chips was the frying oil. I suspect the type and brand of beer he used in his batter had something do with it too. It made a difference.

Cooper raised a lot of money with his fish fry's. Just a prince of a guy, genuine and always a pleasure to be around. His only vice was a morning beer and watching the Price is Right on the bar TV. Brutally handsome at 75 years old.

If you travel on the 23 or 118 freeways in the Metro Los Angeles area notice the center median dividers.
They were finally installed after a motorist lost control, crossed over the center medium into on coming traffic.
The out of control motorist struck head on and killed Coopers son and daughter in law.
It took a tragedy to finally get the dividers installed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom