What do you miss about the UK?

At my local tavern I often raise a glass with a retired London cop and a pensioner. BTW: The pensioner got US citizenship the same week he hit the pick 7 at the track. No one hit the pick 6 so both jackpots went to him. He then went directly to the Chevrolet dealer and bought a Silverado Pick up truck.

Both share the gift of gab at the bar. I always imagine that's the pub culture of London.
Both are extremely versed how the UK government (and the full depth how royal titles are distributed, and that's deep) works from the PM all the way down to a local neighborhood rep.

One day the conversation was flowing until someone asked them if they ever received six of the best in school.
Their eyes turned to asterisks as they defaulted into a 100 mile stare.

I guess they don't miss that at all.

Last edited:
At my local tavern I often raise a glass with a retired London cop and a pensioner. BTW: The pensioner got US citizenship the same week he hit the pick 7 at the track. No one hit the pick 6 so both jackpots went to him. He then went directly to the Chevrolet dealer and bought a Silverado Pick up truck.

Both share the gift of gab at the bar. I always imagine that's the pub culture of London.
Both are extremely versed how the UK government (and the full depth how royal titles are distributed, and that's deep) works from the PM all the way down to a local neighborhood rep.

One day the conversation was flowing until someone asked them if they ever received six of the best in school.

I don't either. Normal part of life during my early teens.

One of a few good mates here Big Brian is an ex guardsman and City of London Police Detective. I can count on B and he can count on me.
1610606894768.png
1610607182108.png

I belong to a boating organization that is charity based. We raise a lot of money for a couple local charities from our selling amazing dinners and lunches we put on.
These meals are always booked solid, people paying premium donations.

We had this fantastic member, Cooper from the UK that knew spot-on how to prepare fish and chips London/UK style. His family ran a successful fish and chips biz in London.

Cooper ended up in the USA after working the British Consulate as a chef, married a local girl and this is where they settled.

Cooper was particular. The Cod was individually packaged and donated from a certain supplier.

Cod first brought to room temp and cooked in a very special frying oil. First dipped in a simple but special batter. The oil in fact was called "Special Fry" since outlawed in California.
The oil was not all purpose. It was a special blend of frying oils.

Cooper told me the real secret to his successful Fish n Chips was the frying oil. I suspect the type and brand of beer he used in his batter had something do with it too. It made a difference.

Cooper raised a lot of money with his fish fry's. Just a prince of a guy, genuine and always a pleasure to be around. His only vice was a morning beer and watching the Price is Right on the bar TV. Brutally handsome at 75 years old.

If you travel on the 23 or 118 freeways in the Metro Los Angeles area notice the center median dividers.
They were finally installed after a motorist lost control, crossed over the center medium into on coming traffic.
The out of control motorist struck head on and killed Coopers son and daughter in law.
It took a tragedy to finally get the dividers installed.

Last edited:
Great story about Cooper and fish 'n chips - but what a tragedy to lose his son. Was he still around when that happened?
Yeah. Cooper passed away last year.

Still located in the rear of the building are 20 commercial ovens.
Another retired UK consulate chef Ron Andrews did our Prime Rib nights. Ron too was a pleasure to work with.
I learned a lot for something that seems so simple to bake as Prime Rib. We were all volunteer & all the proceeds went to a local special needs school. And of course, Andrews and Cooper got the meat donated.

It can vary different in taste simply from how its prepared.

We'd cut the fat cap back but leave it on and season underneath it and then roll the whole roast in kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and just a tiny bit of Lawrys seasoning salt.
Then the roasts were cooked on low all day long.

For many people that loved Prime Rib it was a entirely different taste experience and it spoiled them.
It spoiled me.

Preparing Yorkshire pudding is a talent in itself. It's tricky and one has to be on their game.

Like golf, if you play with good players your game gets better too.
Working in the kitchen with talented & finesse filled chefs - maybe I'm no where near Emeril Lagasse,, but my kitchen game improved.

Last edited:
Those who live in major metropolitan areas might find this strange to hear, but I miss the Tube. In the Detroit area, everybody drives. It’s no secret that the big three auto companies did everything they could to squash any effective public transport in the city. There’s a very limited light rail service downtown, and unpleasant bus service, but otherwise people expect to drive themselves everywhere.

So, I find it incredibly cool that I can get on a train basically anywhere in England, and find a way to connect myself to anywhere else, without ever having to get into a car. While there very clearly is no other sensible way to get around London, I still find the experience an enjoyable one.

Having said that, I have traveled the Loop in Chicago and the subway system in Boston, and I was less enchanted. Nothing that couldn’t be cured by a few gallons of antibacterial spray and hearing “mind the gap” over the loudspeakers.

I learned the Hampton's Court palace is doing an Easter egg hunt where they hid several Lindt chocolate bunnies through the palace for people to find. An activity I love in the palace of one of my favorite kings with one of my favorite chocolate brands and I can't go there!:cry:

I mentioned earlier that we both have a deep affection with riding the tube. When we stay in London, the quickest was from Heathrow to the city is to take the Heathrow Express - 25 minutes on a fast train, I think, but we always opt for the tube ride, not because it's cheaper, but because it's a much longer ride...on the tube. 🚇

Maybe I'm a sadist, but I do also miss the weather. I like that even when it rains, it's so gentle (usually), sort of more like a mist than a downpour. I can't count the number of times I stuck my head out the door and thought, "I don't need an umbrella, that's barely even raining," and by the time I'd walked to the corner, I was soaked. It's like magic rain. :)

Like Morning Glory I really hate the London tube. It's packed and uncomfortable and so incredibly hot! I've been on the tube in several cities and London's is the only one that makes me feel like I'm gonna die down there.
I was on the DLR thing once (Docklands Light Railway, I think) at morning rush hour, and it was so crowded that I could literally feel the, um...manly bits of the guy standing behind me jammed in between my butt cheeks.

I was alarmed at first, until I realized my bits were jammed into the same spot of the guy in front of me. When the guy behind me shifted to exit the train, it sounded like a champagne cork popping! :eek: :laugh:

I was on the DLR thing once (Docklands Light Railway, I think) at morning rush hour, and it was so crowded that I could literally feel the, um...manly bits of the guy standing behind me jammed in between my butt cheeks.

I was alarmed at first, until I realized my bits were jammed into the same spot of the guy in front of me. When the guy behind me shifted to exit the train, it sounded like a champagne cork popping! :eek: :laugh:
When I'm in London I stay with a friend who lives in Hackney, to get to the center of the city from his house I need to catch the train (in Shoreditch High Station I think?) and then I get on the tube somewhere. When I travel, I like to get up early so I can make the most of the time I have, but that means I'm using public transportation at the same time everyone else is commuting to work. In the train station next to my friend's house, in the mornings the train is so full there's a lady carrying a microphone whose sole task is to walk to and fro on the platform yelling things like "PLEASE MAKE USE OF THE FULL LENGHT OF THE TRAIN!" and "STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS!". The trains are so full sometimes I'd miss one, two, three trains hope the next one would be less full, but no. Last time I was there I decided to take the bus into the city instead, which takes a good 20 minutes longer, I can't deal with all that negativity at 8AM.

Back
Top Bottom