What do you miss about the UK?

Even though I live in the middle of nowhere, we now have a massive selection of UK goods available. However, they are generally four times the price that you probably pay.

However, they are generally four times the price that you probably pay.

Yes, I know. But ….you and I have both been away from the UK for a very long time now. Are you sure that you're aware of current UK prices? I'm certainly not - and have been surprised when visitors tell me how much things now cost in the UK.

Or maybe you do go back regularly and have a good idea?

Or maybe you do go back regularly and have a good idea?

Last time that I was back in UK was 2004. I'm only aware of latest prices through hearsay.

[Perhaps someone from UK could look at a few items on my list (as posted above) and give a judgment?]

Last time that I was back in UK was 2004. I'm only aware of latest prices through hearsay.

[Perhaps someone from UK could look at a few items on my list (as posted above) and give a judgment?]

Can you suggest which items - its a very long list!

Are you sure that you're aware of current UK prices? I'm certainly not - and have been surprised when visitors tell me how much things now cost in the UK.

Depends which things. Also, cut price supermarkets Aldi and Lidl now sell a huge range of food (Lidl's even has an in-store bakery) at rock bottom prices.

I can get tinned beans (black beans, chick peas etc) for 38p a can. This veg box I got recently (£3.50) delivered in an on-line shop from Morrisons supermarket - there's a load of potatoes and onions you can't see at the bottom of the box:

fullsizeoutput_379b.jpeg

This reminds me - one thing I would absolutely miss is on-line supermarket deliveries. The UK probably has the most comprehensive supermarket home delivery system in the world, due to the the small geographic size, I suppose.

Can you suggest which items - its a very long list!

Tinned/jarred stuff or dried stuff, I guess. Fresh/frozen items are produced locally I believe. Heinz soups/beans? How much is a 290 ml bottle of Worcestershire sauce or 250 ml of Sarson's vinegar there?

This veg box I got recently (£3.50) delivered in an on-line shop from Morrisons supermarket - there's a load of potatoes and onions you can't see at the bottom of the box

Vegetables, in season are dirt cheap here - but only the ones grown here. Chinese potatoes are currently about 90 pence/kg., cauliflower £1.60/kg

Are they not called "vertically challenged gems" these days?

I am able to buy on-line but whether they will deliver here and if they ever arrive are the unknown factors. Also to pay more postage than the item is worth is contrary to my nature.

My Western Food Supplier has just taken delivery of a batch of midget gems. £13.50/kg though (although having checked on-line that's not a lot more than UK prices).

My Western Food Supplier has just taken delivery of a batch of midget gems. £13.50/kg though (although having checked on-line that's not a lot more than UK prices).

Do you know what brand? There is a cheap brand I bought which is not as good as the classic Maynards/Bassetts

LN_003197_BP_11.jpg

Are they not called "vertically challenged gems" these days?

I am able to buy on-line but whether they will deliver here and if they ever arrive are the unknown factors. Also to pay more postage than the item is worth is contrary to my nature.

Do you know what brand? There is a cheap brand I bought which is not as good as the classic Maynards/Bassetts

I shall discover the brand on Friday. I'm guessing "Lion"

I shall discover the brand on Friday. I'm guessing "Lion"

[Edit - I've looked again - they may be "Tesco" gems, most stuff on his "new" list appears to be Tesco.]

Back
Top Bottom