What do you miss about the UK?

Quite a few cities have ring-necked parakeets (for it is they who are the green parrots you see in London). Barcelona is full of them and I've seen them in Istanbul, too. I have friends in London who live in Fulham (right near the football ground). Bishop's Park is close by and there's a lot of parakeets there.

One item I miss from Scotland - and yet don't really want to experience again - is haggis. I loved the taste, but loved less the feeling I had later that night as it worked its way through my digestive system. This is one case where I could say, "No...this time, it wasn't that I drank too much on Rose Street". :laugh:

Haggis.jpg

5F7D451A-A2B2-4847-B5E2-399FF8233859.jpeg

I forgot about this: I always make a point to visit this pub, and watch from the balcony to see the street performers in the plaza below. I am surprised at how many people with British accents that I see are drinking Budweiser, but that won’t keep me away next time I am in the area.

One item I miss from Scotland - and yet don't really want to experience again - is haggis. I loved the taste, but loved less the feeling I had later that night as it worked its way through my digestive system. This is one case where I could say, "No...this time, it wasn't that I drank too much on Rose Street". :laugh:

View attachment 54443
Haggis is awesome. Due to arrive pretty soon.

View attachment 54443

And that has been my experience too... I consider myself as an adventurous eater, but sadly haggis was a bit too much for me. Having said that, I would like to taste it again and see if I’ll change my mind

I've visited London several times, taken a day trip to Cambridge and flown to Edinburgh but I've never been to the coastal cities, small villages, Isle of Man, Wales or Northern Ireland (nor Ireland). London is probably the place I'll mostly travel in the future too (due to cheap flights and the fact that we spend summer vacations at the countryside and my hubby's winter leaves are short). Our city trips are mostly only 3-7 days long. I also have horticultural and musical interests (Kew and the Royal Albert Hall/Proms) and my hubby and I both love The British Museum (like LissaC). I always buy something nice from the Museum giftshop - the small shop and the entrance hall entice me almost as much as the mummies, artifacts and Akkadian walls.

I've dreamed of driving through the English countryside. I loved The Hound of the Baskervilles and the descriptions of the foggy moores as a kid. I love the English scenery, the stone fences and hedgerows and the cute architecture seen in many TV series and movies (like "Heartbeats" and "Holiday"). There is something mystical, enchanting and alluring about the UK - especially the countryside and the riverbanks. Not to mention Loch Ness :D. One of my favorite books is an illustrated introduction to English areas and regions and their typical scenery and architecture. I can picture myself having a peaceful TR style luncheon (with beverages) in some nice pub or tavern while scrolling the book. Here are a few pics from the said tome:
bri_a.png

How did you know I'd mention beer? One thing I like is a beer festival. Okay, plenty of countries have them, but we have loads in the UK. Something I really like is that they are just so egalitarian. You get bikers talking to bankers talking to painters talking to doctors talking to bricklayers talking to nurses talking to, well, anyone who likes beer. I love a beer festival.

How did you know I'd mention beer? One thing I like is a beer festival. Okay, plenty of countries have them, but we have loads in the UK. Something I really like is that they are just so egalitarian. You get bikers talking to bankers talking to painters talking to doctors talking to bricklayers talking to nurses talking to, well, anyone who likes beer. I love a beer festival.
You'd like that aspect of Cincy. It's beer festival after beer festival after beer festival. New Year's, a lot of the breweries and taprooms here lower festively-adorned beer kegs instead of lighted balls. It's a hoot!

A slight diversion but with this UK pub mediocre food talk I thought of my visits to the Rose & Crown in Florida. My favorite UK style Pub.

It's captured that British character we all love. Mostly Brit employees, friendly and appreciative attitude that really sets the place off.

Even a lane across the way that has a bandstand featuring British rock bands.

-english-breakfast-rose-and-crown-epcot_1-1200x900.jpg

When it first opened, they had two girls out front with thick cockney accents, hands on hips with their wench dresses, aprons & slips pulled up over their knees hurling bawdy insults at people. Ad libbing, obnoxious, naughty and funny as hell.
Someone would get their feelings hurt today.

The food inside superb though I prefer hand cut fries:
rose-crown-pub-and-dining.jpg

46582151081_d42ddf6ebb_b.jpg

rose-and-crown-pub-and-dining-room-gallery04.jpg

srarac709698531.jpg

original.jpg

Epcot-UK-Crown-and-Rose-Imperial-Sampler-2.jpg

Last edited:
How have we put so many of you off haggis? I need to make amends
I take this to mean that you are going to post a recipe for how to make haggis. Thank you for that. :okay: Unfortunately, there's no way for me to duplicate it because sheep lungs are illegal in the States, though I can get hearts and liver. Maybe it's the lung that made us sick? I can still make a version of your soon-to-be recipe without them. I can always tell people that it's haggis. How likely are they to know the difference?

I know I'm having fun with this, but I trust your culinary instincts, and I am hoping that guilt will inspire a recipe that won't want to leave our bellies. :)

Back
Top Bottom