What do you miss about the UK?

When I'm in London I stay with a friend who lives in Hackney, to get to the center of the city from his house I need to catch the train (in Shoreditch High Station I think?) and then I get on the tube somewhere. When I travel, I like to get up early so I can make the most of the time I have, but that means I'm using public transportation at the same time everyone else is commuting to work. In the train station next to my friend's house, in the mornings the train is so full there's a lady carrying a microphone whose sole task is to walk to and fro on the platform yelling things like "PLEASE MAKE USE OF THE FULL LENGHT OF THE TRAIN!" and "STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS!". The trains are so full sometimes I'd miss one, two, three trains hope the next one would be less full, but no. Last time I was there I decided to take the bus into the city instead, which takes a good 20 minutes longer, I can't deal with all that negativity at 8AM.
When we were younger, we'd get up really early and take the tube to wherever our first activity was that day, catching it before the morning rush. Then we'd get breakfast somewhere there and just hang out until whatever we were doing opened for the day.

Now that we're older, it's completely flipped. We hang out at the hotel until after the morning rush, then take the tube in. :laugh:

Unfortunate to relay this but you want responses.

A friend of mine says he misses nothing about the UK. he is as Polish as they come. They are into traditional values and I think part of the problem is the UK being so progressive.

Says the people are cold and he doesn't like the food.

He is part of a high end law firm based there and had to live there for a while but has helped to expand the company to where he doens't have to set foot in the UK anymore. He could have to go back and it won't kill him but he would rather be in Catalonia. He obbught a nice house in Barcelona and has a plane so the nearby airstrip comes in handy. He flies high end clients around, bypassing all the BS customs, incubation and all that. The firm actually bought the plane but he is a third of that, I think about to become a fourth as they take on a new partner, which is rare. The fact remians though that he is the only one with the keys to the plane. He is the only one who can fly it. And it is terrorist proof ! He said the factory threw that in for nothing I think.

And he is a foodie, he flew the thing to Italy to go on a mushroom hunt. He had restaurants but probably not Michelin. Still, he tells me of Polish cooking. Mainly three things. I might do a thread on that.

Anyway, there are British members here and I want to hear some spiciness from them ! LOL

Bring it ! He said the best food in Britain was from other countries Are you going to take that laying down ?

Actually I do like fish n chips...

T

Best fish n chips I've ever had was a place near Edinburgh, I think I could find it again, and I miss the towns like st Ives Penzance etc. I miss the funny people I met, and would meet every day. People kept wondering why a couple of kiwis were in their town. So much history compared to our relatively new country.

Russ

Reactions: TastyReuben

Sorry for your dismay, in fact the first word in that was "unfortunate". I have nothing with which to rebut what I was told. All I have seen is fish n chips, and the British Baking show.

So, show me. Pretend I am from Missouri. Myself, I had nothing and just told what I was told.

Maybe they can cook and I just don't know it. That doesn't change the fact thatthey can't write scifi, in fact I shold move there an dmight get a job doing that. But Dr. Who, which was their crowning achievent in scifi has been crap since Tom Baker was gone.

Not that that affects cooking. We arent doing too well in the writing department either. They are probably ckose to divorced from our movies.

So do tell me of the wonders of the cooking there, enlighten me. That is part of why I am here

T

Reactions: TastyReuben

Sorry for your dismay, in fact the first word in that was "unfortunate". I have nothing with which to rebut what I was told. All I have seen is fish n chips, and the British Baking show.

So, show me. Pretend I am from Missouri. Myself, I had nothing and just told what I was told.

Maybe they can cook and I just don't know it. That doesn't change the fact thatthey can't write scifi, in fact I shold move there an dmight get a job doing that. But Dr. Who, which was their crowning achievent in scifi has been crap since Tom Baker was gone.

Not that that affects cooking. We arent doing too well in the writing department either. They are probably ckose to divorced from our movies.

So do tell me of the wonders of the cooking there, enlighten me. That is part of why I am here

T
If I have limited or no personal experience with something, I tend to not make comments based on hearsay.

I might have to regret my statement earlier. Fact is I don't know if my tastes are the same as the one who told me this, plus he might not have tried many things.

T

Back
Top Bottom