What do you normally put in your omelette?

Onionman

Veteran
Local time
8:13 PM
When I was growing up my mother taught me how to make an omelette in her own way - onions, sometimes mushrooms and a dash of chili sauce. It was very basic and maybe not the combination for everyone. And whenever I stay in a hotel and get to the egg station at breakfast I get a bit overwhelmed by the options available for my omelette!

So what do you normally put in your omelette?

I usually have them plain.

Otherwise it is with mushrooms and onions but the mushrooms get cooked first til the squeak and then the onions get added... finally the eggs. But usually just plain and no dairy involved.

new potatoes and garlic mushrooms ,the omelette then becomes a meal with a rocket salad

Bacon, cheese, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions... Hell, I can't think of many savory ingredients that wouldn't go well in an omelette

Anything. Omelette is the one go to food when you need to empty the fridge. Cheese, vegetables, pretty much any meat... it all works well. But yeah, pretty much always I want some kind of meat in there as well as onions, the rest is up to what I can find.

Reading some of these recipes it looks like I've been missing out a fair bit :). To be fair, now I try to add a bit of ham and occasionally a bit of cheese (though I am a bit lactose intolerant). But it's very true that you can throw in all sorts of things.

For some reason spinach is always in my omelet. Honestly couldn't tell you why. It's just a taste I love. Fistfuls of spinach & a dash of cheese (any) I'm a happy eater. Well, maybe a touch of hot sauce of course.

I'll have to try adding spinach. I think it would be awesome as well, but I've never tried it. Or greens in general. I think it would add for a nice flavor. May even turn the Omelette into more of an egg-sandwich with filling on toasted bread too. Mmm.

The main go to ingredients for me are ham chunks, cheese sautéed green bell pepper, and sautéed onion. I usually do not make my own omelets at home because I have a hard time flipping them and they end up being scrambled eggs.

Nice ingredients. I've tried everything but sauteed peppers, but that sounds wonderful! I also tend to break my omelette too, if you flip them. I've found actually just cooking them until they are solid and just flipping the pan upside down on a plate and sliding that off the plate upside down into the pan again alleviates the breaking. It may take another step, but it's worth it.

I put different things at different times. Onions are a must. Green peppers, garlic salt, ham, cheese, bacon and even spinach have been things I have played around with at one time or the other.I just like to fool around with eggs sometimes....I guess cooking on the whole.

Recently tried what I called a "Super Breakfast" Omelet - chopped up sausage, meat patties, some onions and peppers. Problem is the more you put in the harder it is to solidify and flip.. it often ends up as "HEARTY Scrambled" Eggs!

Grated cheddar (lots) put on one side of the omelette, the other side folded or rolled over and cooked a few moments until the cheese melts - so that it oozes out when you cut into it. There's a difference between mixing things into the omelette and using things as a filling. I tend to prefer 'fillings'. Spinach filled omelette is another winner. I much prefer omelettes to be soft in the middle rather than uniformly cooked like a thick pancake. My son prefers the latter and will mix any old thing into it - then cooks it until very firm, and to my mind, approaching 'leathery' - yuk!

Back
Top Bottom