What do you think of when I say "Australian food"?

When I read the title of the tread Vegemite came to my mind. Then I remembered that once I ate kangaroo steak. It was tender and full of flavor. Of course, fish and chips, but I think of it as a British dish.

I used to live in Melbourne close to Lygon Street, which is home to Melbourne's Italian community and the array of cafes and restaurants there is amazing! I had some of the best gelato outside Italy in Melbourne.

Interesting I can't say I've heard any use the term "Australasian food" ...Spanish, Italian, Greek, Indian, and Chinese food I am familiar with and have had.

The only thing I know about Australian food is the condiment Vegemite. Otherwise, I am clueless. I assume the cuisine most be close to what's eaten in most Euro-type countries.

Vegemite.jpg

As much as it embarrasses me to say it, when you say Australian food I think "Outback"! And that's about it!!! I don't know anything about Australian food!

ummm.... Victoria Bitter? :D
I guess kangaroo meat could be one, though I don't think it's that widely used in Australia.
When I studied abroad in Australia, I tried kangaroo! It was actually very delicious! You're right, it wasn't something that was always on the menu or widely used, but it was very good.
Another thing I are a lot in Aussie land was hamburgers. They usually served them with beets or beet root. Sounds gross, but it was pretty good.

I'm originally from Australia and I'm just curious to know what non-Australians think of as "Australian food".
Only read the OP, not the replies yet, so I'd say (certainly wrongly) kangaroo steaks and crocodile, barbeques, etc. for white Aussies and bush tucker (witchity grubs, etc.) for the aborigines. That said, I am aware that the aborigines have health problems in their communities due to diet so presumably they now eat more western style fast / junk food, and I do know that there are a lot of Asian influences in Australian cooking these days.

Only read the OP, not the replies yet, so I'd say (certainly wrongly) kangaroo steaks and crocodile, barbeques, etc. for white Aussies and bush tucker (witchity grubs, etc.) for the aborigines. That said, I am aware that the aborigines have health problems in their communities due to diet so presumably they now eat more western style fast / junk food, and I do know that there are a lot of Asian influences in Australian cooking these days.

Ah, I wasn't far away from most other replies. Still not sure what the reality is though . . .

The only thing I know about Australian food is the condiment Vegemite. Otherwise, I am clueless. I assume the cuisine most be close to what's eaten in most Euro-type countries.

Vegemite.jpg
I agree! I had to think about the question, because nothing came to mind. And when I think of your comment, I think of that song by Men and Work, Land Down Under. Haha!

This is an interesting question because the Australian version of Masterchef 2012 has been aired in the UK recently. The task for the finalists was for them to create a main course that they felt represented Australia at its best. Prior to this I would have associated Australia with outdoor cooking, steaks, kangaroo and crocodile. (A bit stereotypical really). However, the finalists of Masterchef changed my view a bit. One made a rack of lamb with fondant potatoes and fresh vegetables, the other made a fisherman's basket displaying a variety of seafood cooked in different ways.

Back
Top Bottom