What flavors/flavours do you have stored in your brain's "data bank?"

caseydog

Local time
11:38 AM
JAS_OH1 just mentioned tarragon, and it occured to me that I have tarragon in my pantry, and have used it in the past, but if you were to ask me what it tastes like, I couldn't answer.

I have some ingredients, herbs and spices so memorized, that I can read a recipe with those things in it and imagine what it will taste like. Others, not so much.

Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone else have ingredients, herbs and spices that they have tasted before, but the memory just didn't stick? And, on the other side, do you have ingredients, herbs and spices that are permanently etched in you brain?

CD

Last edited:
JAS_OH1 just mentioned tarragon, and it occured to me that I have tarragon in my panty, and have used it in the past, but if you were to ask me what it tastes like, I couldn't answer.

I have some ingredients, herbs and spices so memorized, that I can read a recipe with those things in it and imagine what it will taste like. Others, not so much.

Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone else have ingredients, herbs and spices that they have tasted before, but the memory just didn't stick? And, on the other side, do you have ingredients, herbs and spices that are permanently etched in you brain?

CD
I can't think of anything I have ever eaten that was unmemorable. I can actually think of a food and I can taste it (some things I wish I didn't, LOL). Same with ingredients, I can usually imagine how something I wanted to create is going to taste by combining things I am familiar with and most of the time I can come pretty close, if not spot on or even better.

I wrote up my recipe for lemon-tarragon cream sauce if you are interested.

My brain holds on to taste memories like a colander holds on to water.

The upside to this is I get to surprise myself with flavors all the time.

I can still remember what liver tastes like, same with sweet potatoes and cottage cheese. UGH. And I haven't eaten any of them in over 30 years.

I can still remember what liver tastes like, same with sweet potatoes and cottage cheese. UGH. And I haven't eaten any of them in over 30 years.

The first time I ate escargot, it was wonderful. The second time it was awful. That has created a mixed memory. I'm a little afraid to try it again, because I don't know what I am going to get.

CD

The first time I ate escargot, it was wonderful. The second time it was awful. That has created a mixed memory. I'm a little afraid to try it again, because I don't know what I am going to get.

CD
I can see how that would make you apprehensive. I have had mediocre or bad food before, no fun. Like overcooked, undercooked, or not-quite-fresh seafood. Traumatizing.

Does anyone else have ingredients, herbs and spices that they have tasted before, but the memory just didn't stick? And, on the other side, do you have ingredients, herbs and spices that are permanently etched in you brain?
To answer your question - I think I was fortunate, in a sense, that I spent over 10 years experimenting with different spices, herbs and flavourings with my chutney company. A lot of these ingredients now immediately trigger a response: this will go with pork, this will go with potatoes, this will do fine with fish, etc.
The only lost flavours seem to be things I ate as a kid in the UK but have not tried very much since then. Things like crystalised ginger, Turkish Delight, brown sauce.

Did you mean 'data bank' in the title?

I do remember the taste of most herbs and spices I've had (and have). Not sure if that's because I have a good taste memory or whether its because I've read about and researched each an every one of them.

With other ingredients I'm pretty sure if I've eaten something I can remember the taste. The interesting test is whether you are able to identify ingredients 'blind'. This can be far more difficult particularly with dishes which use layers and combinations of flavour.

I have some garam masala (bought) which has driven me mad. Its the best I've ever bought (not expensive). The ingredients are listed and I've copied them and made my own but it lacks that one thing - a perfumed taste which I can't put my finger on.

Did you mean 'data bank' in the title?

I do remember the taste of most herbs and spices I've had (and have). Not sure if that's because I have a good taste memory or whether its because I've read about and researched each an every one of them.

With other ingredients I'm pretty sure if I've eaten something I can remember the taste. The interesting test is whether you are able to identify ingredients 'blind'. This can be far more difficult particularly with dishes which use layers and combinations of flavour.

I have some garam masala (bought) which has driven me mad. Its the best I've ever bought (not expensive). The ingredients are listed and I've copied them and made my own but it lacks that one thing - a perfumed taste which I can't put my finger on.

Yes, I fixed the title.

I have seen numerous videos where people taste foods with blindfolds on, and they rather often have difficulty naming what they are eating.

CD

Back
Top Bottom