What food do you miss because you've become allergic / intolerant?

Gene Gibly

Guru
Local time
2:40 PM
Some people are allergic to certain foods and products from birth, but many more become intolerant to specific foods later on in life.

What foods have you become allergic / intolerant too - and do you miss eating them?

I became intolerant to dairy in adult life, about 12 years ago. I really miss cream cakes and the ability to buy an ice cream cone from the van when out and about.

I also recently suffered from gout and one of the things that seems to be the trigger is fruit juice, though fruit is fine. I used to be able to drink a litre or more of fruit juice in the course of an evening whereas now I might have a mouth full or taster of a juice every couple of months. I have also reduced my in take of seafood and I miss that too.

White wine and prawn crackers both seem to cause my mouth to swell up as an allergic reaction. Fortunately I don't really miss either of those at all.

I've never been able to drink fruit juices, sodas, carbonated drinks, or squashes (so don't miss them at all) so grew up living on milk as my main drink. When everyone else had a can of something in the newsagent, I would get a pint of milk... (other options were coffee or water given I never liked tea, so the choice was a touch limited.) I also can't have most fruit, vinegar, yoghurts, toothpaste, mouthwash basically anything acidic or alkaline etc... I get acid or alkali burns in my mouth due to a chronic persistant geographic tongue - it is a genetic condition and hurts something awful.

Milk was my main drink for choice, I loved raw milk and would drink it whenever I could. Milk also calmed my mouth if I had eaten something 'forbidden' like some raspberries or strawberries... (I have since found taking liquid zinc supplements keeps the condition under much more control and summer fruits are back on the menu!)

15-20 years ago I had a really bad bout of bronchitis and had to go dairy free for 6-8 weeks. When I went back onto dairy, I ended up at A&E with a major asthma attack. Result I had to go over to goat's or sheep's milk and avoid all cow's milk. That was OK. I found that the taste was not what I was expecting from the smell of goat's cheese and overtime found goat's butter as well. 5 years ago I developed an intolerance to all dairy, though the cow's side is anaphylactic shock to the point where I now have to read the ingredients list of things like bread and margarine (and medication which often contains lactose as a tablet filler) before I can eat anything.

I miss milk & cheese but have recently found oatly which is quite creamy (and makes for a really nice dark hot creamy chocolate) and also make my own nut milks which can be made more creamy than the ones in the shops. We also use soya milk in things but I haven't quite made it to the point where I can drink it straight (chocolate soya milk yes, just not 'natural' soya milk). But I still miss full cream milk.:(

PS - I did used to miss chocolate something badly as well, but that one does not seem as important anymore...

A couple of Christmases ago, Mum got in a selection of non-dairy creams for NT to have a choice to go with Xmas Pud. One of them was the Oatly cream, and out of curiosity, we all asked to try a taste. Then NT had to fight us off, it was so nice!

It's happened the other way around for me. As a child and adult, I was always allergic to cheese, so although I loved the taste, I couldn't eat it as it would cause a severe allergic reaction. When I was in my early thirties, we took the kids to Florida and I couldn't resist sneaking a taste of pizza - it looked so good. I waited for the allergic reaction, and it never came. Gradually, I introduced cheese into my diet successfully, but I do find that creamy cheeses such as Brie and Camambert make me feel nauseous, so I still avoid those.

Wow @SatNavSaysStraightOn that's quite a catalogue of things - most people just have an odd one or two, but you seem to have been quite unlucky. I suppose the flip-side is you get to try things you might not have otherwise gone anywhere near.

I recently became intolerant of caffeine and mayonnaise. I can drink caffeinated drinks but only a little. If I drink too much my stomach is in agony for days. I hate this because I love drinking Pepsi and Dr Pepper and now I can't drink it. I have to get decaffeinated sodas now and they just don't taste the same.
I also use to like mayonnaise now I can't eat it at all. This literally makes me sick if I eat any of it. I tried some potato salad a friend made and I was sick for the rest of the day after eating it. I didn't know what was wrong until I asked what was in it. That's how I found out I was allergic to mayonnaise. Talk about bad and I liked mayonnaise too.:cry::cry:

Omg I love shrimp but am allergic. It's so sad because shrimp is so good.

I generally don't have this problem, but the one thing I have become intolerant to is citric sodas, like Mountain Dew and especially Orange soda. I use to really like orange soda, but now even if I try to drink part of a can my stomach starts to hurt really bad. The only thing I can figure out, outside of explicitly asking a doctor, is that there is more acid in these sodas and my stomach can't handle it.

My four year old is lactose intolerant. I have a feeling that I am as well. I cannot eat ice cream, yogurt, sour cream or drink milk. If I do eat these I get so gassy and sick that I regret it for the rest of the day and night. It is really inconvenient because I love yogurt and ice cream!

My four year old is lactose intolerant. I have a feeling that I am as well. I cannot eat ice cream, yogurt, sour cream or drink milk. If I do eat these I get so gassy and sick that I regret it for the rest of the day and night. It is really inconvenient because I love yogurt and ice cream!

Yes, it sounds like you're lactose intolerant.

I am lactose intolerant too. I developed it in my 30's. It was so hard at first because I love milk and ice cream. At the time, there were very few substitutes. I still tried to drink a little milk, but I would always pay the price for it.

Now, there are many alternatives that I don't really miss milk or ice cream anymore. I enjoy almond milk more than cow's milk. Almond milk dairy dessert is just divine.

I am lactose intolerant too. I developed it in my 30's. It was so hard at first because I love milk and ice cream. At the time, there were very few substitutes. I still tried to drink a little milk, but I would always pay the price for it.

Now, there are many alternatives that I don't really miss milk or ice cream anymore. I enjoy almond milk more than cow's milk. Almond milk dairy dessert is just divine.

do you have a link please? as of yet I have not seen any almond milk desserts in the UK and would love to know 'what they are' to keep an eye out for them, if you follow me. many thanks (I'm allergic to all dairy not just to lactose).

I'm not allergic to anything. It's quite scary how today so many people are allergic to so many things, once again proof of how we are devolving as a species due to too much protection.

I'm not allergic to anything. It's quite scary how today so many people are allergic to so many things, once again proof of how we are devolving as a species due to too much protection.
With respect to dairy allergies and lactose intolerance, I don't think it has anything to do with too much protection. Humans were never meant to consume bovine (cow's) milk and most people live with side effects that they have no clue about or in most cases are not even aware that they have the side effects because they have had them all of their life and put them down to something else. An example, most of my husband's family suffer from sinus problems. When they stayed with us in our last home their sinus iussues cleared, then they returned home after a week with us and their sinus problems returned - the answer was cow's milk. At the time I was living off goat's milk and had simply cooked and served them with goat's milk instead. They had not noticed any difference except for their sinus issues clearing up. Now they all drink goat's milk routinely, as well as cook with it - sinus issues gone. It's not an allergy, simply an 'intolerance' but it is nothing to do with modern food manufacture (though the excess of dairy in modern food is alarming) or protection (my in-laws are well into the 70's grow their own veg, cook most things from scratch etc), it is more to do with the fact that humans never evolved to consume dairy products from any source.

From my intolerance point of view (excluding my actual allergic response to bovine dairy products), non-bovine dairy products (goat/sheep/buffalo etc) agreavate my asthma because their consumption increases mucus production and also increases the thickness of mucus production. Both of these cause me to cough more, longer and harder which exaserbates my asthma particularly at night when the body is at its weakest. That is an intolerance, symptons I lived with all of my life.

If you went back to the original hunter gather foods, you would still have people allergic to nuts for instance. I think we simply see more of it nowadays because medicine is better at saving these people when they do go into anaphyalatic shock and they survive to adulthood to pass on the allergies to their offspring - something natural selection 'dealt' with before. (hard yes, but for your reference: I am one such individual - I would never have survived being born, let alone the twice I have been resucitated due to my asthma were it not for the advances in medical science - I now take 8 sets of meds to control my asthma and then have to take steriods to control the side effects of my asthma medication - not enough natural steriod production - all of that is down to medicine keeping me alive to pass on 'faulty' genes passed onto me by my father: it has nothing to do with too much protection - I can drink almost any water supply without the need to filter and don't bat an eyelid about the state of my cyclign water bottle or what is on it - I have lived off a private untreated water supply most of my life and spent 12 months living on the road and that was when I was most healthy).

If anything, those of us with intolerances or allergies to dairy products are probably closer to those hunter/gathers of our past (and not more/over protected), than those who have evolved to handle consumption of something we never previously had in our diet and that has only recently (on an evolution time scale) entered into our diets.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts on the matter - I am not saying this as a staff member, just as another forum user.

I do still miss the ice cream. I do drink the lactose free milk and I will make any dish that calls for milk with lactose free milk. I would like the link for the almond milk dairy dessert as well please. :)

Back
Top Bottom