What food do you miss because you've become allergic / intolerant?

If you went back to the original hunter gather foods, you would still have people allergic to nuts for instance. I think we simply see more of it nowadays because medicine is better at saving these people when they do go into anaphyalatic shock and they survive to adulthood to pass on the allergies to their offspring - something natural selection 'dealt' with before.

This is one part of what I'm talking about. Natural selection simply doesn't work as well as it used to due to medicine. But it's not just medicine, it's living inside in (over) heater buildings which in turn makes us less resistant to cold and therefore everyone gets sick the moment they put their nose out during the winter. It's like you mentioned water quality, most people drink water from a bottle for all their lives and then claim that the tap water is bad because they got sick when they drank it etc. Same with overusing medication, we have medication and vaccinations which are used against such things as the common cold. And then we wonder why our natural resistance is lower than what it used to be.

As for allergies I found this graph. Do note that it's just for children between 0 and 17 years. Taken from CDC website:
db121_fig01.gif

The change is a lot smaller than I thought but I think we can all agree that it's going in the wrong direction.

I do still miss the ice cream. I do drink the lactose free milk and I will make any dish that calls for milk with lactose free milk. I would like the link for the almond milk dairy dessert as well please. :)

I really like Blue Diamond almond milk. The chocolate version is like drinking a dessert. Link: http://almondbreeze.com/

Pure Silk also makes almond milk. It's delicious. They make a ton of other milk alternative drinks too. Link: http://silk.com/

My friend made almond milk from scratch. She said that it tastes much better than the store bought versions. I will give that a try when I buy a better blender. My current blender is barely hanging on. LOL!

Some people are allergic to certain foods and products from birth, but many more become intolerant to specific foods later on in life.

What foods have you become allergic / intolerant too - and do you miss eating them?

It's funny because I'm allergic to strawberries but I LOVE the smell and taste of them. I can't say that I miss it because I've tried to stay away from them as they break my back out. But if I ever "accidentally" eat them, the flavor won't turn me away. They are really good!

During my teen years I noticed that when I ate shrimp few rashes appears on my skin and sometimes it is quite itchy. So from that time on I am avoiding it. But my doctor said that I should not totally eliminate it from my diet and should eat a little portion of it once in a while so that my body will be immune to it to overcome my allergy.

I have ENT issues and have done since I was very young which has resulted in loss of hearing in my right ear, surgery has helped but only to a point. Anyway, I am naturally snuffly, especially first thing in the morning I generally feel as though I have a cold but soon clears up. Whenever we go to another country for a holiday I rarely use a tissue or have problems, when we come back here it all start again. I put it down to climate, pollution etc... but I am wondering if it may be food related, I don't have much dairy, I have very little milk in my tea or on my cereal, rarely have yogurt, so maybe not that but something here irritates my nose. I rarely have cereal at breakfast when away so this is what made me think maybe dairy. As far as I am aware no one else in my family has any dairy issues so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

I have ENT issues and have done since I was very young which has resulted in loss of hearing in my right ear, surgery has helped but only to a point. Anyway, I am naturally snuffly, especially first thing in the morning I generally feel as though I have a cold but soon clears up. Whenever we go to another country for a holiday I rarely use a tissue or have problems, when we come back here it all start again. I put it down to climate, pollution etc... but I am wondering if it may be food related, I don't have much dairy, I have very little milk in my tea or on my cereal, rarely have yogurt, so maybe not that but something here irritates my nose. I rarely have cereal at breakfast when away so this is what made me think maybe dairy. As far as I am aware no one else in my family has any dairy issues so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.
dairy is well known to cause mucus to be thicker than normal and to cause excessive build up of mucus. No-one else in my family is allergic to dairy, just me. Cow's dairy in any form is anaphylactic shock (999 ambulance job), all other dairy (goat's, sheep's, buffalo, and all the others) is more an intolerance where I phlegm up, cough a lot more than normal (which is already considered excessive) and generally have many more issues with my asthma at night.

When I went off to cycle around the world, most of my issues eased considerably, to the point where I could come off some of my asthma meds. Coming back to the UK was horrendous though and I instantly started having major issues with my asthma ending up back on all the meds I had managed to wean myself off. I now take more than before (but in all likelihood would have needed them anyway) and have a nebuliser as well!

You may well find that dairy is making the situation worse. I guess you are under an ENT consultant, it is worth talking to them, but there is no reason why you could not in the meantime change from cow's milk to goat's milk which is readily available throughout the UK and Ireland. Goat's cream, goat's yoghurt and goat's butter is also very readily available. Selective breeding and processing means that goat's milk/cream/butter/yoghurt do not have that taste or smell associated with strong goat's cheeses and in fact there are now really mild goat's cheese available (including a really nice brie style cheese (Capricorn IIRC). If you are trying goat's milk for the first time, I would advise you try the semi-skimmed version because the full-cream version is very rich, much creamier and richer than full-cream cow's milk. Some supermarkets also stock the skimmed goat's milk version now, but that was not available when I first developed an allergy to cow's and had to go over to goat's milk, so I can't tell you what it is like.

dairy is well known to cause mucus to be thicker than normal and to cause excessive build up of mucus. No-one else in my family is allergic to dairy, just me. Cow's dairy in any form is anaphylactic shock (999 ambulance job), all other dairy (goat's, sheep's, buffalo, and all the others) is more an intolerance where I phlegm up, cough a lot more than normal (which is already considered excessive) and generally have many more issues with my asthma at night.

When I went off to cycle around the world, most of my issues eased considerably, to the point where I could come off some of my asthma meds. Coming back to the UK was horrendous though and I instantly started having major issues with my asthma ending up back on all the meds I had managed to wean myself off. I now take more than before (but in all likelihood would have needed them anyway) and have a nebuliser as well!

You may well find that dairy is making the situation worse. I guess you are under an ENT consultant, it is worth talking to them, but there is no reason why you could not in the meantime change from cow's milk to goat's milk which is readily available throughout the UK and Ireland. Goat's cream, goat's yoghurt and goat's butter is also very readily available. Selective breeding and processing means that goat's milk/cream/butter/yoghurt do not have that taste or smell associated with strong goat's cheeses and in fact there are now really mild goat's cheese available (including a really nice brie style cheese (Capricorn IIRC). If you are trying goat's milk for the first time, I would advise you try the semi-skimmed version because the full-cream version is very rich, much creamier and richer than full-cream cow's milk. Some supermarkets also stock the skimmed goat's milk version now, but that was not available when I first developed an allergy to cow's and had to go over to goat's milk, so I can't tell you what it is like.

I am rather a fan of goats cheese so the switch might not be too bad. I have an appointment in April so I might bring that up, thankfully I no longer see the boss, he is great and has been very informative but I only see him if I need to, if all is fine then I see someone under him, they should still be able to offer some advice.
I only went abroad for the first time in 2008 when we got married, that month was amazing but it didn't register about my nose as it was such a huge time in my life, it is only these past couple of years I have noticed it. I suppose I am just so used to being like this that it just feels like the norm.

Back
Top Bottom