What foods/ingredients/flavors mean "autumn" to you?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:43 PM
Feeling very fall-like here today (dead leaves sailing by on the November breeze), and I'm thinking of my favorite tastes this time of year:

Apples and apple cider, and all things made with apple cider (doughnuts, muffins)
Spice cake
Pear crisp/crumble
Big steaming bowls of oatmeal/porridge
Roasted root veg of all sorts
Nut brown ales
Warm spices, like cinnamon, cloves, etc
Mulled wine
Dried fruits

...and that's just off the top of my head.

What do your tastebuds turn to when October and November show up?

Well none of that happens in the Tropics, because Fall doesn´t exist. It´s just "wet season, dry season".
More temperate climes, however, would have my tastebuds include ALL your ideas - and chestnuts.
That's exactly why I asked - I'm curious to know how the tastes change when "your" autumn isn't "my" autumn, if that makes any sense. Thanks!

After Thanksgiving, I always make a big pot of Turkey and Sausage Gumbo. It needs to get a little colder before I make a pot of Texas chili con carne.

CD

My favorite Dutch fall treats include:
Speculaas Recipe for traditional Dutch speculaasjes
Gevulde speculaas Gevulde Speculaas
Hete bliksem (mash made with potatoes and apples)
Trappistenbier (trappist ale/beer)
Zoervleis with fries and mayo Recipe: The Oldest Dish in the Netherlands
Apple pie
Komijnekaas Dutch Food Delights: Komijnekaas - Cloggie Central
Ontbijtkoek Ontbijtkoek - Wikipedia
Boerenjongens on pancakes Boerenjongens

And people keep saying there's no Dutch cuisine. Anyway, there's more but these are my favorites. Along with the things TastyReuben mentioned.

The first wine harvested this year, can be opened around november.
You've reminded me of something I haven't made in a few years...rumpot!

Starting in late Spring with strawberries, throw them in a crock with sugar and cover with dark rum. As different fruits come into season, in they go, with more rum to top them off.

Around November, strain it and you have a beautiful liqueur to drink and a delicious preserved fruit mix that's excellent with cake, ice cream, custard, or meat (especially pork).

Back
Top Bottom