What foods/ingredients/flavors mean "autumn" to you?

Carbohydrates in general....

Jacket potatoes are always associated with bonfire night (5th Nov)
Wild harvest of sweet chestnuts
Blackberries are definitely another one
roasted parsnips
brussel sprouts
Stews/casseroles & dumplings

heavy fruit cakes with Fresh young cheese (lancashire or wendsleydale) - maybe more winter
Eggnog - maybe more winter
Christmas pudding - though maybe more winter

Feeling very fall-like here today (dead leaves sailing by on the November breeze), and I'm thinking of my favorite tastes this time of year:

Apples and apple cider, and all things made with apple cider (doughnuts, muffins)
Spice cake
Pear crisp/crumble
Big steaming bowls of oatmeal/porridge
Roasted root veg of all sorts
Nut brown ales
Warm spices, like cinnamon, cloves, etc
Mulled wine
Dried fruits

...and that's just off the top of my head.

What do your tastebuds turn to when October and November show up?
Since you mentioned it TR, what is a good wine to use when making Mulled Wine?

Since you mentioned it TR, what is a good wine to use when making Mulled Wine?
I'm no wine expert, far from it, but I've used all sorts of red wines for glühwein. I usually grab a merlot or a côtes du rhône, but I've used red zinfandel, malbec, cabernet, pinot noir...I don't think I've ever used one of those Spanish reds (rioja?), but I think that would be excellent.

The wineries around here specialize in German wines, and a lot of them will bottle their own glühwein, and sometimes, I just grab one of those:

I also just got some cookbooks gifted to me, and I'm pretty sure I saw glühwein or mulled wine in at least one of those. I'll check that in a bit.

I'm no wine expert, far from it, but I've used all sorts of red wines for glühwein. I usually grab a merlot or a côtes du rhône, but I've used red zinfandel, malbec, cabernet, pinot noir...I don't think I've ever used one of those Spanish reds (rioja?), but I think that would be excellent.

The wineries around here specialize in German wines, and a lot of them will bottle their own glühwein, and sometimes, I just grab one of those:

View attachment 75369
View attachment 75370

I also just got some cookbooks gifted to me, and I'm pretty sure I saw glühwein or mulled wine in at least one of those. I'll check that in a bit.

Rioja is the traditional wine for Sangria, so it might be good for glühwein.

CD

More on the mulled wine...I have five cookbooks with glühwein recipes. Two say "red wine," two say "Burgundy," and one says "Rhine wine" (which I've always taken to mean a white wine, so that's surprising).

ETA: Just found another cookbook with a recipe for "mulling spices" - they recommend using a jug of apple cider or a bottle of Zinfandel.

So, yeah...just grab your favorite red and have at it!

Off the top of my head, the "traditional" wine for mulled wine in the UK was Burgundy. That means, predominantly, Pinot Noir.
Mulled wine generally contains cinnamon, cloves and star anise - pretty potent spices. I´d give it a go with a Syrah(Shiraz), which is fruity, spicy, slightly sweet. I use Syrah to pair with Indian food ( loads of spices) so I think it might work.

Off the top of my head, the "traditional" wine for mulled wine in the UK was Burgundy. That means, predominantly, Pinot Noir.
Mulled wine generally contains cinnamon, cloves and star anise - pretty potent spices. I´d give it a go with a Syrah(Shiraz), which is fruity, spicy, slightly sweet. I use Syrah to pair with Indian food ( loads of spices) so I think it might work.

I enjoy a nice merlot with a curry.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom