What Hand-Me-Down Items Do You Use?

Breadman Bread Machine_.jpg

I was given this bread machine from a friend who never used it. He kept it in its original box & stored it away. I used it twice. :wink:

I have something awesome that I just got, and I will photograph it when I have a chance: a deli-style meat slicer.

My wife's dad died a few weeks ago :( and he had a lot of - to put it mildly - crap in his basement. But, he also had some really terrific vintage things. As we were clearing things out this past weekend, that really stood out. It seems to lack the usual safety features that the professional ones have at deli counters, so I will have to proceed with caution, but I really can't wait to take it for a spin!

Very sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Even practical things, though, can be a great touchstone to good memories. Enjoy that slicer!

I have something awesome that I just got, and I will photograph it when I have a chance: a deli-style meat slicer.

My wife's dad died a few weeks ago :( and he had a lot of - to put it mildly - crap in his basement. But, he also had some really terrific vintage things. As we were clearing things out this past weekend, that really stood out. It seems to lack the usual safety features that the professional ones have at deli counters, so I will have to proceed with caution, but I really can't wait to take it for a spin!

Sorry about your f.i.l. I miss my m.i.l, we got on real,good. She even came on holiday with us. Let us know how the slicer works out. I'd love one as well.

Russ

Oh these things look so beautiful! Unfortunately I have no such things.

I've a few items. Some are in daily use such as a few knives (vegetable knife and a paring knife that is best said as no longer having a straight blade but a rounded one). They were my Grannie's. I've also got a few items that she bought me when my now husband and I first moved in together. Sadly the tablespoon patty of the measuring spoons broke off 2 years ago but I haven't had the heart to through them away. I've also got her flat griddle, both of them. One is round with a good long handle. The other appears to be a crude flat rectangular lump of metal with a small handle. It's almost too heavy for me to lift but you'd be well pushed to cook more than 2 regular pikelets or crumpets on it.
We've got all of my grannies pirex glass cookware from the 50s. I use them quite a bit. I find the lidded casserole bowls in various sizes really useful. And I had my mother's apple pie dish (portmireon) and her pizza plate (wedgwood) off her. Plus I've got the quiche dish in wedgwood cookware (wild strawberry). And thinking about it, I have my grannies glasses and 1 of her tea cups & saucers. I use the glasses, they are out, but not the tea cup.
I can't think of anything else right now.

My wife has a lot of glassware from Corning Glass Works and Steuben Glass Works. A branch of her family worked there, so she inherited some of that. The pitcher I posted with sangria, the glasses I posted with the port we had, and some rocks glasses as well.

MrsTasty likes to use them, but I'm always terrified of breaking them because I'm fairly clumsy and I feel it's just a matter of time. They're fairly valuable sentimentally and monetarily, but we both hate the idea of something sat in a cabinet not being used.

Well I totally forgot about the 19' Rabolo, open fish my oldest brother left me, along with the port decanter and glasses we salvaged from his destroyed home. My bad. I also have a few pieces of scrimshaw he had before the ban. Dang I can't forget the Frugal Gourmet hard back cookbooks (we already had the paperbacks).

Back
Top Bottom