What have you grown in your veg plot or garden this year?

On the allotment we've got garlic and onions that we've grown over the winter. The onions are looking nice and plump but aren't quite ready to lift yet. We lifted the garlic yesterday - its been reasonably successful this year though we lost a few of them to birds. We planted 9 bulbs of Caulk Wight this time which is less than we did the year before, but they're a good size so I hopefully we should have enough to last us.
eIDEnWW.jpg

This year we've got potatoes growing - only first earlies (Red Duke of York) and maincrops (Rooster) - we're still learning how much we need to grow of each crop to last us just until the next year's harvest and we've still got loads of last year's potatoes left over so we obviously grew far too many before! (last year we grew one each of first and second earlies & maincrop).

The rhubarb survived the winter fine and is growing strongly - see my recipe for rhubarb gin :okay:
The strawberries (Flamenco) that we put in last year have come back really well and have multiplied so we had our first crop (1.3kg) on Monday:
y0DOsCm.jpg

We're trying melons too for the first time under a little plastic greenhouse/coldframe thingy - time will tell whether this will work or not!
We still haven't had a decent crop from the horseradish - we're growing it in a plastic dustbin to try to stop it spreading out and taking over, but last year we only had some very thin little roots. Hopefully this year it will have grown some nice fat ones. We'll put some cabbages in later to eat over the winter.

In the garden we're growing the usual tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, and cucumbers, spring onions, radishes and salad in the raised beds. We haven't done very well with sweetcorn in the past so this time we're trying some baby sweetcorn instead. Also trying beetroot and celery for the first time, and something called Celtuce - though it doesn't look like this one has worked because nothing has come through :( Oh and leeks and carrots too (also for winter supplies).

Still doesn't look like we're going to get anything from our pear trees :( We had loads of blossom on the Williams but no tfruit (we had baby fruit last year so there's obviously a pollination partner around somewhere!). The Concorde didn't blossom at all - its probably still too young. Still, once we get them both blossoming they should pollinate each other. Just have to be patient :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow! You are so productive @MrsDangermouse - I don't know how you find time to grow all this

Celtuce is a new one on me - its not often that there is a veg. I've never heard of in the UK. It looks very interesting. Photo for anyone else who doesn't know what it looks like:

Celtuce.jpg

Wow! You are so productive @MrsDangermouse - I don't know how you find time to grow all this
It actually doesn't take all that long: the garden is set up with raised beds which we manure in the autumn and then cover with weed membrane over the winter so its just a case of taking the covering off and planting things. We don't get too many weeds so we mostly pick them out as and when we see them when we're out and about in the garden.

It does take a little while starting everything off in the propagator/pots and then potting on to bigger pots, but that's a couple of hour's work say once a month in late winter/spring when there's not much else to do anyway. Once everything is in the ground it pretty much looks after itself :okay:

The allotment is set up with slightly raised beds too (mostly for drainage as its quite a boggy site) so there's not much digging needed now the beds are done. Sadly the weed problem is worse there, but an hour or so every couple of weeks seems to keep on top of it - we're lucky that the allotment is only a 15 min walk/5 min bike ride from our house so popping down to water or harvest things in the evening is pretty easy too.

Celtuce is a new one on me - its not often that there is a veg. I've never heard of in the UK. It looks very interesting.
Its new for us too :D we saw it in the seed catalogue book at the allotment and decided to give it a go. We like to try at least one new or unusual veg per year, last year was cucamelons.....they grew fine but we weren't keen on them.

Sounds a bit like a gooseberry... maybe not so juicy?
If you're still talking about cucamelons then no, they're definitely a vegetable not a fruit. The texture (and juciness) is almost identical to cucumber but the taste is usually described as cucumber with a hint of lime (though neither of us could taste the lime, and just thought they tasted like odd cucumbers :giggle:)

If you're still talking about cucamelons then no, they're definitely a vegetable not a fruit. The texture (and juciness) is almost identical to cucumber but the taste is usually described as cucumber with a hint of lime (though neither of us could taste the lime, and just thought they tasted like odd cucumbers :giggle:)

Cucumbers and melons are technically fruits. :D Anyway, they don't sound that good.

Back
Top Bottom