What is a dish that you most fondly remember from you childhood?

crunchy cat

Veteran
Local time
3:47 AM
For me it was my mothers staple of chicken and wild rice.
you take rice wild rice and about a lb of chicken and some chicken stock or broth and cook it up in the oven for an hour to an hour and a half.

It was a very mild recipe but it was and still is a rather comforting dish to me. I still occasionally make it. Though i do spice it up a bit with various seasonings and such.

For me it is my aunt's catfish cooked with coconut milk. It very delicious and memorable because it is my first time to taste a dish with coconut milk. It is very tasty and at the same time very healthy. YUMMY and statisfied stomach.

Anything my grandma cooked!
Be it fish or meat or veggies. But I think most of all hear bread , and the long mornings we had with homemade bread, homemade butter, cheese and jam.

Once in a blue moon my dad would make pizza from scratch. That was pretty much the only good meal I ever remember having growing up.

Maybe Strogonoff! It's crazy that I just looked this dish up and apparently it comes from Russia, but I am in Brazil and in my family there is no Russian descendants whatsoever. But this is a very common and famous dish in Brazil and many people love it. My mom makes it a lot and I absolutely love her recipe! I remember this fondly because every time I got home from school to find she had made strogonoff I would be so happy!

My gran's yorkshire pudding served with her own made raspberry jam. She was a Yorkshire lass.

When we were ill, Mum would make up a portion of Smash (dehydrated mashed potato) and mix a beaten egg into it to enrich it. Very easy to eat, very comforting. Funny thing, it has to be Smash, it just isn't the same with 'real' mash.

Wouldn't be recommended now that giving raw egg to vulnerable people is frowned on.

Oh man, so many dishes...I actually remember my mum making crepes when she got back from Australia...and since it was in the early 2000s and my sister and I had NO IDEA what pancakes were (no Internet and we didn't watch much Western TV), it was such a novelty. Each time she'd make it we felt like it was some fancy French dish she picked up:hungry:

I always remembered my mom's beef roll and the first time I tasted it when I was small I always love eating that kind of dish especially its creamy sauce. It's a sure winner for all of us her children. I had a copy of her recipe for this and now that I had a family of my own I am cooking this also and up to now it is still my favorite and my family too.:hungry::love:

Squash. It's always been squash. Likely not how you're imagining it in an oven all fancy & free. No, it was the frozen block of squash. I'm not sure why but that's the thing that reminds me of my grandmother who passed & whenever I have it alone with a dash of cinnamon I remember her like it was yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom